• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo

Ads Optimization

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 evek1

evek1

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 05:23 AM

In terms of online advertising, how to optimize ads in order to boost performance and quality score?

#2 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 07:05 AM

Welcome evek ! hi.gif

Is it safe to assume you're asking about PPC ads since you mention Quality Score?

Even with this clarification it's a simple question with a complicated answer, depending upon how much detail you want.

The main thing to remember with PPC ads is it's not just about the ad. It's about the PPC ad and the landing page. The two main things you need with both is Relevancy and Clarity.

For relevancy this means the keyword phrase you're bidding on should appear both in your ad and in prominent places of your landing page to provide relevancy.

Clarity is both easier and harder to understand and get right. It simply means your ad must be very clear as to what you're offering and do it in a very limited space. And this clarity needs to carry through to your landing page.

Don't try to get too creative with your search network PPC ads. Or at least don't let creativity adversely affect relevancy. It's the most important factor and can lead to higher click-thru rates. Thus leading to a higher quality score and the ability to rank higher for less cost per click. Make sure your keyword appears in your ad. You can even have it appear once in each line if you can get that to work with your ad text.

Other than relevancy and clarity the biggest mistake I see people make with their search network PPC ads is the failure to include a call to action in the ad. A silly concept to be sure consider it is a paid ad, but it's something I see a lot of. The basic structure I use I use for PPC ads is as follows:

Headline: Grab their attention (keyword your bidding on has to appear here). You can often define the problem being solved right in the ad headline.
1st Text Line: Generate interest by mentioning a benefit
2nd Text Line: Encourage a Decision. Give them an answer to the question about why they should click thru, hopefully with a call to action.
URL Display: You can sometimes incorporate your keyword here again, and integrate another call to action.

That's the basics for the Search Network PPC ads.

Content Network ads are a totally other ballgame, though Relevancy and Clarity do still carry through to both. The main difference being that Search Network ads are targeting what can best be described as seekers. Meaning someone has purposely gone to a search engine and searched for a phrase that produces your ad.

The Content Network ads are different in that the users are not typically seeking out what you have to offer. Instead its more like a case where a shopper in a mall is in a shoe store and leaves to go to the kiosk outside that's selling popcorn, as an example, because they've smelled the popcorn popping and it's made them hungry for a snack. Basically, you're targeting a different type of potential customer, which requires a different type of ad.

With Content Network ads the ability to attract Attention is a lot more important. You're competing with a lot of other things and the user has a different mindset. So your ads have to do a lot more of the heavy lifting initially. You can get more creative with your Content Network ads. Gimmicky ads tend to work better with Content Network ads than on the Search Network. Saying something a bit outrageous in your ads tends to work better too. Assuming of course the gimmick and daring statements accomplish getting the users attention. There still has to be relevance and clarity, and of course a call to action, but remember the people viewing your ads on the Content Network is going to be totally different from those viewing your ads via the Search Network.

This is why I tend to keep my Search and Content Network ads in separate groups. I find it easier to keep them on target and in sync with the users mindset.

The last thing I'll say in the basic advice is that you must have something set up that allows you to test both your ad and landing page to track response rate and conversion rate. Without something set up on the back end to track performance you're flying blind.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!