• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Www Vs. Non-www Version Of Url Mixed In One Site

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Say Yebo

Say Yebo

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 02:20 PM

I always thought that if you entered a site via either the www version or non-www version, you would continue to navigate within that version automatically.

Is this correct?

Also, I'm optimizing a site where the navigation has you crossing back and forth between both versions of the URL.

I've traced it to a 301 redirect that directs an old (www) URL to a new (non-www) URL.

They do not yet have redirects in place to address other canonicalization issues between different versions of their URL, which I have advised them to do.

But in the meantime, is the cross-over issue a serious problem in and of itself?

Thanks,
Caro

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,865 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 04:14 PM

I always thought that if you entered a site via either the www version or non-www version, you would continue to navigate within that version automatically.

Nope, depends on how the site is set up. Most these days have redirects so you'd go straight to one version or the other at the start. Others that don't might have absolute links to one version or the other, which would put you at that version once you clicked something.

But in the meantime, is the cross-over issue a serious problem in and of itself?

It depends. Most likely Google knows they're the same. There's another thread here on this topic from today where I explained how to check this.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!