• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo

Are There Free Hosters - Where Load Files Direct?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 kevs

kevs

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 04:14 PM

Currently I'm with go daddy. I like it because I can upload my sites direct. With free hosters it seems the ones I looked at want you to upload files through their convoluted interface. Are there free webhostes like go daddy where you can upload direct? thanks

#2 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 04:49 PM

For a commerce producing site it would be pure folly to even consider free hosting.

#3 kevs

kevs

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 08:14 PM

Randy, lets assume it's just a hobby.

#4 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,916 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 07:43 AM

I think the point of those free hosts and why they make you go through their tools is to see ads, no?

In which case, it would defeat their purpose if they let you ftp files.

#5 kevs

kevs

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 04:42 PM

Sorry Jill, I did not catch your logic. I understand the ads, but what does me loading the files direct like I do in godaddy or through the interface matter at the point the site is up and visible?

#6 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,916 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 07:50 PM

Because then you don't have to use their interface with the ads? (Really, I don't know, I've never used a free host, so was just making a guess!)

#7 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 07:53 PM

It depends upon who their target audience is kevs. Nothing in life is truly free after all.

If the target audience or part of the target audience are the people using the free service, you're going to be forced to see their ads to ftp in and upload files. Hence, no direct ftp capabilities. If their target audience are the people who visit the sites they host for free, those users are going to see ads. And if the target audience is both, both are going to be part of the equation.

With hosting being so cheap these days it's often easier to pay $60 per year or whatever to get what you need/want.

#8 kevs

kevs

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 10:11 PM

Randy, it's cool. I've spending $60 year, but I renew usually in five year chunks, so was thinking, why spend $250 or so on this silly music hobby site with one page that links to my collection for traders. It would be perfect site to go free with, save the $250. Don't care about ads or pop ups on this one.
But you are saying that the the pop up ads are integral to these free sites not having direct upload ability -- that's what I'm understanding.

#9 Gatorhardware

Gatorhardware

Web Hoster

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 11:36 AM

What content will be on the site? Are you storing music directly on there or are you just using it to link to others? What kind of space do you need? I might be able to help you out with something.

#10 nethy

nethy

HR 6

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 10:40 PM

You might consider hosting your site via some free web service provider.

This is a nice one: http://www.weebly.com. I'm not sure if you get to use ftp and the idea is that you use their site builder. For hobby sites, this is probably the way to go.

(I think you can upgrade to pro for $60 a year)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!