• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Seo & Member Only Content

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 fastestmanalive

fastestmanalive

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 11:29 PM

I am creating a directory/review website. If the user generated reviews are member only content (hidden from non-paid users) is it possible for search engine spiders to still pick up all the content within the reviews?

My original plan was to monetize through business ads/sponsored listings (like yelp.com), but I am now considering a membership site (like angieslist.com) instead. I had assumed that SEO would play a vital role in the site's success and I am worried that a shift in the business model might hurt the exposure of the site. Any thoughts/recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

#2 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 06:26 AM

Any time you require a user to log in to view content it becomes invisible to the search engine spiders. Spiders don't have little fingers to type in their username and password after all. giggle.gif

There are ways to make such content visible to the search engines, however you have to be very, very careful about your implementation so that you don't fall into some type of cloaking scheme. The easiest way is probably to offer up a summary, without all of the juicy details, to all users. Unregistered users and search engine spiders alike. Then require a log in to get to the full version.

#3 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,012 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 08:00 AM

As Randy said, your best bet is to provide snippets for free to unregistered users and spiders. You can also do some kind of cloaking where you allow google to index the content, but I wouldn't recommend it.

#4 fastestmanalive

fastestmanalive

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 10:32 AM

OK. I had a feeling that would be the case. Thanks for the info!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!