• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Contents Of The Title Tag

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 JSH

JSH

HR 1

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 16 August 2003 - 09:14 AM

I was recently told that there are certain characters that will cause some search engines to display "no title found" if they are used in title tags. Does anyone know which characters these are? Are there any other no-nos as far as what to put in title tags?

#2 dimok

dimok

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 16 August 2003 - 09:19 AM

Never heard about that.

I often use dividers like ".", ",", "//", "-" and that was always OK.

I think that someone who told you that was really used some "no-no" :aloha:

#3 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 16 August 2003 - 10:26 AM

Why not ask the person who told you it? Seems as if they should know which ones would do that, if it is actually true. (Never seen it happen, myself.)

Personally, I'd avoid an "&" symbol and copyright symbols and that sort of thing, but I really doubt they have any impact. Would just avoid them to be safe and/or use the html version of them.

Jill

#4 Amit

Amit

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 17 August 2003 - 01:17 AM

Hi All,

I am new to this forum, just joined. Recenttly i have observed the significance of title tag in the postings of diffrent forums and not giving any attention to title tag. Am i right or wrong in this? :aloha:

#5 Searchaware

Searchaware

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 17 August 2003 - 02:24 AM

JSH

I certainly haven't seen that in evidence with any titles I have created. Do you have an example of a search engine result where this is the case?

Simon

#6 compar

compar

Just Purrfect

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 669 posts

Posted 17 August 2003 - 11:17 AM

Hi All,

I am new to this forum, just joined. Recenttly i have observed the significance of title tag in the postings of diffrent forums and not giving any attention to title tag. Am i right or wrong in this?  :aloha:

I'm not sure I understand your question. But let me say this. The Title tag is the single most important item on a web page as far as the search engines are concerned. It is the first clue they get of what the site is about. It should contain your primary keyword phrase and be a short but as complete as possible description of the entire web site.

If you think you have read that the title is not important then I would suggest that you have either mis read or are talking to people who don't know what they are talking about.

#7 awall19

awall19

Peanut Butter Lover

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 17 August 2003 - 01:32 PM

All search engines refer to each document with the title tag. With that being said, the title tag is the first thing that the user and the search engine see to describe content. Most pages use an abstract as well, but all use the page title.

Because the page title is one of the few things you can control in search results it is highly important that the title does a good job of describing the content of the page.

How often have you seen "UNTITLED DOCUMENT" as the #1 listing for any competitive word? Its a rare day to see one even in the top ten. When you do, it usually uses some spammy techniques.

Anyone who thinks that page title is unimportant has a great misunderstanding of search engines and the internet.

#8 marketingtops

marketingtops

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 November 2003 - 05:08 AM

I certainly haven't seen that in evidence with any titles I have created. Do you have an example of a search engine result where this is the case?

Davide

#9 samt

samt

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 15 November 2003 - 09:40 AM

I've read somewhere while searching for something (can't remember where) that if you use the & in your search, you'll only return results with the & in them. I don't think it's limited to the title, but if you have some kind of special character that's usually included when people think of your product/service, lime M&M's, then use it. Otherwise I don't think it would matter. We have a & in our business name, so it's in the title of one page, but I've never noticed a problem with the page title showing in a search engine.

We are now a read-only forum.

No new posts or registrations allowed.