• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Keyword Prominence

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 BeantownSEO

BeantownSEO

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 02:03 PM

I've been reading a lot about and have been hearing a lot about keyword prominence, and more specifically, placing keywords at the beginning of the page and how that is important for search engine crawlers in to order place more importance and relevance on the keyword phrases in question. From what I gather, the general assumption is that the higher up you place the phrase in the body content, the greater the signal to the search engines of the phrase and the page's importance in relation to the phrase.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? I find it difficult to believe that the higher up you place a keyword on the page is of great benefit to ranking. I am not discussing page layout and infrmation scent and all of that other stuff as it relates to the reader, but strictly speaking about the importance search engines would place on the phrase if it is higher up in the body? I have heard of companies nailing this down to a science, where the keyword must be placed at the top, in the top paragraph this many times, etc., and was curious as to what others thought? Is there a benefit to this, or is using the phrases strategically throughout the piece of content naturally make more sense, as I think it would?

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,190 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 02:56 PM

From what I gather, the general assumption is that the higher up you place the phrase in the body content, the greater the signal to the search engines of the phrase and the page's importance in relation to the phrase.

I've never seen that to be true.

#3 BeantownSEO

BeantownSEO

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 03:18 PM

So are you of the opinion Jill that using phrases naturally throughout the content without worrying if the phrase is used closer to the top of the page is best? This would seem to make the most sense to me....in my opinion, using keywords however the should appear naturally throughout the content is the most effective strategy - though I can understand from the readers perspective that placing the phrase at the beginning of the content to provide an understanding of what the content is about is ideal as well.

#4 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,190 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 04:38 PM

So are you of the opinion Jill that using phrases naturally throughout the content without worrying if the phrase is used closer to the top of the page is best?

Absolutely, positively and I've said so a million times through the years.

#5 thefandango

thefandango

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 07:02 AM

Using <h1> tags higher up the page is perhaps more effective than worrying about inline keyword positioning?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!