• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

How To Bury A Negative Online Comment?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 jandal

jandal

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 01:34 AM

Hi

3 years ago someone wrote something uncomplimentary about a friend of mine, using his name in the Title (and repeatedly in the body) of a blog post (on a free blogspot blog).

The blog hasn't had new content added to it in 2 years - though the blogger had been quite active when he was maintaining it over two years. There are no backlinks to the post, the page has a 2PR.

My friend has many other listing on social networks (linkedin, facebook etc) but this post always lands first in the SERPS - he doesn't know how long this has been the case as he has never checked his own name online.

Can anyone make a suggestion about how to get this post off the first page of the SERPS?

Many thanks

#2 NASA

NASA

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 03:40 AM

There are no backlinks to the post, the page has a 2PR.

If there are no links to the post, how does it have a PR2? ...anyway...

Is what he blog says true ? if not you can request it is removed or take legal action for slander or defamation of character. (dependend on laws in your country and the country the post resides). You may also beable to approach the SE's to have it removed if it is defamatory.

If it is true and accurate, there is nothing you can do! (that I know of!)

#3 jandal

jandal

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 04:11 AM

QUOTE(NASA @ Apr 21 2009, 03:40 AM) View Post
If there are no links to the post, how does it have a PR2? ...anyway...

well..I guess backlink checkers classify backlinks differnetly. The blog post has no backlinks from external websites, nor has it got trackbacks. But according to Yahoo Site Explorer it has 182 'inlinks' from pages on its own blog.

So could these inlinks explain its positioning?

#4 NASA

NASA

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 04:46 AM

There is no tool you can use to check backlinks.

Any link:operator or tool is a waste of time, they don't work.

The only way you can check IBL's from say G! is via GWMT and you would need to be the site owner and add the required security identifier code/page to get access to IBL information.

#5 jandal

jandal

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 05:32 AM

Thanks NASA

So, in the absence of inbound links from other websites, are those 182 'inlinks' from other pages on the same blog responsible for the positioning of the post in the SERPS?

I'm just trying to understand why its no.1 in the SERPS and the amount of inbound links I would need to create to the results below this one in order to put it on the second page.

#6 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 06:24 AM

Sure the internal links carry weight. Can you imagine how tough it would be if they didn't and you were required to have external backlinks to absolutely every page you wanted to appear in the SERPs? Things would sure be different if that were the case!

As to the main question the answer is either to get the post removed, which may or may not be easy to do depending upon the exact circumstance and the truth in the original post. or to actively optimize pages on multiple sites so that they rank better than the offending blog post, thus pushing it down to the 2nd page and beyond.

#7 NASA

NASA

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 06:32 AM

or to actively optimize pages on multiple sites so that they rank better than the offending blog post
lol really, and you think PR sculpting is waste of time hysterical.gif

How much time and effort would it take to achieve that?

So, in the absence of inbound links from other websites, are those 182 'inlinks' from other pages on the same blog responsible for the positioning of the post in the SERPS?
how do you know it has no IBL's? , when there is no tool for which to get an accurate reading?

It's imposible to say a site has no external IBL's when there is no method for checking.

#8 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 06:44 AM

Yes, Brand Management is much more important than PR Sculpting.

And a name can be a brand, sometimes the most important brand as you well know wink1.gif

#9 NASA

NASA

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 06:45 AM

you're just too good Randy!

#10 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 07:41 AM

I would suggest grabbing even more profiles that use the brand/name. There are hundreds of social networking sites where you can do this now. You'd probably need to participate in them somewhat to make your profile have some oomph to it.

The more stuff you can get out there online that uses the brand/name, the more chance you'll have of pushing it down.

#11 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 09:46 AM

hysterical.gif

I'm subtle too, eh?

giggle.gif

#12 NASA

NASA

HR 4

• Active Members