• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

How To Redirect A Major Ecommerce Site? Help Needed!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 alexroux

alexroux

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 11:06 AM

Hello to all!

The mother company of a large ecommerce site wants to stop the operations on that site and redirect all traffic to another ecommerce site they own.

What is the best way to redirect a major ecommerce site (SITE A) (Google PR 5, 1000 visitors a day, 40,000$ sales monthly) to a different ecommerce site with a different URL (SITE B).

Here are my propositions, which is the best? Would you have a better solution?

1. We can simply 301 redirect the entire site (SITE A) to transfer the Google PR onto the new URL (SITE B). All internal links of SITE A pointing to one URL on SITE B. On the landing page (SITE B), there will be a message explaining why the user has been redirected to this new site. This is necessary so the user feels compelled to continue shopping with the new site.

2. We could 301 redirect all internal links of SITE A onto it's own domain homepage. On this domain homepage, we would have our text explaining the redirection AND ALSO, we would have SITE B categories linking to each category on SITE B. These text links would send excellent PR to each corresponding categories with very targetted keywords.

Thank you for your help,
Alex

#2 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 06:40 PM

Welcome alexroux ! hi.gif

I think I must be missing the plot line somewhere.

Is the stuff available on Site A also available on Site B? And if so is there no way to redirect individual pages on Site A to the best fit on Site B?

If you can keep from it you really don't want to redirect an entire site to a single page (eg the home page) of another site. You'll want to be as specific as you can. As a general rule you're better off using a 301 redirect if you can.

#3 alexroux

alexroux

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 09:19 PM

Thanks for your answer!

Yes both sites have the same categories and products, the only thing that changes is the domain url and the content pages. I hadn't proposed to redirect each individual page for a few reasons:

- I would have thought technically it was more difficult for 65,000 individual pages. 64,500 automatic product pages and 500 custom content pages. It must be extremely time consuming to map all the content pages from SITE A to SITE B. The servers are on Microsoft IIS. Could you direct me toward a tutorial explaining 301 redirection page by page for IIS? If you know?

- A bigger problem is that we are thiking of modifying the categories on SITE B. So we'd have to adapt the redirection script or the user would get 404 pages. Time consuming! The product pages url should not change, only the categories.

We might be able to redirect all pages which have a similar URL ex: domain.com/products.aspx?=5487987
but what if we redirect all other pages (about 500) to one unique URL on SITE B? It wouldn't be the best option but MUCH less time consuming no?

Thanks
Alex

#4 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 06:42 AM

Our general 301 redirect info (for both flavors) is here. Ian has published some IIS specific information here.

There are a few different ways to do it, including scripted redirects that are mentioned in both of the above references if you don't have Administrator access on the first IIS box.

The two-fold question that pops into my head is whether the page filenames are going to remain consistent between the two domains and whether the query parameter is going to remain consistent between the two. If both of those are the same, individual page redirection will be a piece of cake. In fact even if the filename is changing but the query string value is going to remain the same it's easy to accomplish.

The problems creep in when it's not the same and there isn't some type of trigger you can use.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We are now a read-only forum.

No new posts or registrations allowed.