• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Changing A Page's Directory

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 maleman

maleman

HR 6

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 04:43 PM

Greetings and Salutations,

The "power of cash compels me" to move an html file to another directory. It's a page that's been up for a while, about 1.5 years and is indexed in SEs.

The filename will remain the same but the page will be moved to another directory.

So, what I'm looking at here is a situation that is similar to leaving the page in it's current location and changing the filename. I will lose rank for the page because of the new location.

What are your thoughts about this?

Should I just move the page and forget about it or do a 301 redirect or do something else?

Thanks
whitehat.gif

#2 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,626 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 08:45 AM

Obviously, you can link from any page to any page, so this idea doesn't come out of a plan to improve your navigation. Your hope is that having keywords in the directory name will help the page to rank for those keywords, right?

As I've said before (and Matt Cutts has continued to back up this claim), keywords in the URL help, but only a little. I don't recommend changing URLs just to get that help. I just don't think it's worth it. And you say that your page has been up for a year and a half, so it's pretty well established. I'd say that's all the more reason not to bother with this. If you're in really serious competition with somebody else's page on the same subject, then maybe this will be enough to boost you over them, but that's only after you lose your rankings for however long it takes the search engines to pick up the change.

You're probably better off getting some links to the page (both internal and external) with the keywords in the anchor text.

I'm currently working on a small ecommerce site with terrible URLs. All of the pages are in the root directory, and they have file names like index0002.html for category pages and 0056.html for product pages. And no, the company does not sell numbers smile.gif

If I was designing the site from scratch I'd use descriptive category names for folders and descriptive file names for pages, but I'm not. The site's been around for a few years and it's fully indexed. I'm changing a lot, but not URLs.

#3 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 10:00 AM

Short answer...

You'll want to utilize a 301 redirect any time you change a page's location. Doubly so when the page is already well established.

#4 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,626 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 10:11 AM

Absolutely.

But again, the change won't be reflected in the SERPs immediately, and there is a strong chance that the page's rankings will drop for a while.

#5 maleman

maleman

HR 6

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 01:00 PM

That's guys for your input.

The main reason for moving the page is for re-organization of the site and the filename does happen to be the name of a service (kw).

I have several link menus which are inserted on the pages with php incudes.

Moving the one page will cure an organizational problem. This one page is causing a pain and takes too much time dinkin around with the link menus.

I'll go for the 301.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!