• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

A Little Advise On Starting A Site As A Subdomain

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Hex

Hex

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 03:08 PM

I am in the process of starting a blog that I will be putting my full efforts behind for the next year or so, it will be related to ecommerce and experiances I have had working in the field. At the moment the full intention of the site is to act as a blog and I have no other plans, however, if it does become very popular I may offer some services around it.

Planning ahead I was thinnking of starting the blog on www.mydomain/blog and having a htaccess make the sites root index be within this directory as this would allow me to, at a later date, use the root directory for a "proper" index.html which could like to the blog and I could then create a main site in front of the blog that has gained popularity?

I wondered if anyone had any thoughts on this - I just had the idea as I was about to get started so thought I would throw it up here and see if there were any opinions I could take on board.

Thanks

#2 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,325 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 04:31 PM

That's not a subdomain. A subdomain takes the form of subdomain.example.com and on many severs it has its own complete directory tree.

What you're proposing, however, seems okay from a technical point of view (default the root to the sub-directory until you are ready to expand the site) but for marketing purposes it will cause some confusion down the road.

Regardless of where you put the blog, you should promote the blog as its own brand (in my opinion) since that will be your only content for the foreseeable future. You could even give the blog its own domain name and save the current one until you're ready to create a full brand.

#3 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 08:10 AM

As Michael said, it's a subdirectory not a subdomain.

And it's completely fine to have that be the starting point on your site. Just make sure to set up the 301 for those visitors that end up at the base domain name because some will.

I can even think of one site that's done this back and forth for some years without causing any problems. They started out with one type of shopping cart built at the root level. Then they moved to a different cart and it was put at the /store/ level so as not to interfere with the original cart during construction. I got called in to set up the 301 redirects (in this case for numerous pages) to match the new structure. Now they've moved back to the original cart, because the 2nd one is simply too server intensive and they get a load of traffic. So I "get" to reverse the process.

The search engines all have kept up with the changes just fine, because of the 301's.

#4 Hex

Hex

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 02:30 PM

thanks, so just to be double sure I would 301 redirect the traditional index page to /blog/index.html?

#5 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 07:39 PM

Yup, that would do it.

Though personally I'd simply redirect it to /blog/ myself, assuming the rest of the internal links don't point specifically to the index.html file.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We are now a read-only forum.

No new posts or registrations allowed.