• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

How Did My Site Get Indexed? !

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Webseeker

Webseeker

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 03:41 AM

Ok, here's the situation. I just happened to type in a key phrase into Google, of which is the same as my domain name.(URL)

I see it listed as #1 for that keyword phrase. This is not about positioning in the SERPs, but about how the heck did my site get indexed?

I only published the site and have a brief message about the site is under construction on the index/home page. I NEVER listed the website anywhere! I have NO links to the website and have not made it public.

Do any of you have an idea on "How" Google found my site and indexed it? I wasn't expecting to see that site listed at all. I mean I understand if there were links or if I contacted Google to beg them to list my site, etc, LOL!, but I mentioned the site to no one.

Thanks,

Webseeker

P.S. "Sorry, can't list the URL as what I will be selling there is extremely niche stuff."

#2 MaKa

MaKa

HR 6

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 04:44 AM

Are you using the Google toolbar or any other toolbars?

#3 NASA

NASA

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 04:47 AM

Because G! knows all about every domain registered.

You buy a domain, the registrar creates DNS records, G! picks up on this and pays the new domain a visit.

G! just loves new content to get it's teeth into.

It doesn't happen all the time to every domain, but I've seen G! do it to one of my domains before, and there is no way on this earth it could have know about it from a link or an inclusion request.

I see no other way for G! to have know the domain exisited other than the registrar / DNS records.

Edit : And I don't do toolbars, taking up screen real estate, grrr! wink1.gif

#4 MaKa

MaKa

HR 6

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 05:02 AM

If you want to prevent early indexing by search engines exclude them from your robots.txt file while developing. Make sure to remember to allow them back in when your ready to launch your site.

@NASA: Just use a dual screen setup, plenty of room for toolbars then wink1.gif

#5 Webseeker

Webseeker

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 11:21 PM

Hello People!

No, not using any special toolbars.

In my other website projects, I didn't notice the sand box effect with my SERPs results, and this is another example of that. LOL!

Anyway, the replies helped and explains what may have happened.

Thanks!

Webseeker goodjob.gif

#6 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 08:12 AM

There are several potential methods used by the engines for URL discovery. Including simply sending their spiders out to newly registered domains, as mentioned above. It's not really something to worry over, but this is exactly why you need to set up robots.txt exclusions when you don't want stuff indexed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!