• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

If A Page 1 Serps Is Yielding No Enquiries

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 NASA

NASA

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 05:17 AM

OK I know, you don't need to lecture me over 'Ranking' is not the be all and end all to SERPs and a successful site.

So what is the next thing to do if you have got a 1st page ranking for a major keyword, that seems to only bring 40 visitors a month to the site and not a single enquiry.

ok the search term is 'town / country' specific, so high volumes are not expected, and I know you may then think well perhaps it's the website, but honestly it's not a bad looking website.

So why no enquiries? is the host company / webmasters lying about visitor stats? the site does have the 1st page ranking, and to lie about 40 visitors a month is hardly worth it.

so why no conversions to enquires?

When top SERPs yields no ROI, what's the next step?

#2 jsp1983

jsp1983

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 05:59 AM

Perhaps look a bit closer to home and see what it is on your site that could be improved? Are a clear choice of actions offered to visitors?

Is it possible that visitors could be expecting to see something else when searching with that phrase?

There are other people here who have waay more experience than I do with this - yield to their omniscience! wink1.gif Their advice is good.

#3 NASA

NASA

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 06:14 AM

There are other people here who have waay more experience than I do with this - yield to their omniscience! Their advice is good.
I know, Jill & Randy are the ultimate Guru's of which we all must notworthy.gif to!

Pain they live across the pond though! anywho....

Beleive me, the site is OK, i'm not in control of the site to make changes anyhow, and our white labelled website facility is far less pretty than what they already have.

They want to know what else they can do to bring in enquiries as so far their 40.00 per month fee to the webmaster company has yielded didely squat!

Moving to our 10.00 per month WLW facility is not the answer, CPC is not a viable option, the CPC is too high for your standard 1 man band broker, you cannot compete against the big boys.

With our own site we've tried articles, but now they won't write any more for me because they didn't see what they consider a measurable ROI.

I've tried affiliate link referral scheme, but because my company won't pay a decent fee for conversions, no one signs up to the scheme even though I have a 1st page SERPs for the main referral site keywords.

Personally i'm thinking the best advice I can give them is to employ a proper SEO to manage the site, but I don't know one (no offense HR), that is UK based, affordable or reputable, the last thing I need is them holding me responsible for them getting burnt by dodgy SEO services.

dntknw.gif suggestions ?

#4 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 06:56 AM

You're talking conversions, which unfortunately is something not a lot of SEOs specialize in. And it's difficult, bordering on impossible, to give a generic one-size-fits-all answer to your question. Mainly because conversion depends upon the specifics of the site, the visitors and their expectations. That is the general answer however. In some way the offer is not meeting visitor expectations. Either that or you're attracting the wrong type of visitors.

There are a few things you absolutely have to have if you're going to have a successful online business. I'm going to assume for the moment that you have two of the most important ones. Those being a product or service that delivers Real Value to customers. And potential customers/visitors who need or want what you have to offer, have the financial wherewithal to afford what you have to offer and have the knowledge and expertise to use what you have to offer.

Assuming you have those covered already, it usually comes down to crafting a marketing message that speaks to them in their own language. And that delivers a consistent message. And that meets or exceeds their expectations.

This is where conversion testing becomes your friend. Unless you are part of your target market, which doesn't happen very often, it's pretty difficult to guess and get these elements as correct as they can be. You might get some right, but if you get some wrong you're going to be hurting your conversion rates. Conversion testing helps you drill down to these specific things people are looking for, and get more of them right.

#5 NASA

NASA

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 07:42 AM

Thanks Randy, infact as i wrote the question, it made me think back to your guide you gave me regarding understanding your target audience, thinking like them, frequenting the places they hang out and speaking to them in a way they understand.

All of which can help bring the right visitor , to the right page, with the right message -> all of which will help increase conversion and ROI.

So once again we are back to the problem of them asking me (the IT guy) to fix all their IT woes.

Copywriting & Marketing is most definately not my bag, but why is it every non-techy person seems to think if it has anything to do with IT or electronics then the IT geek will know everything about anything.

If I could make a million that easy online I wouldn't be sitting here doing my sodding day job now would I.

The other problem is why do the sales people promise the earth, yet it's the other employees / IT department, who is expected to deliver these unrealistic targets, and seem to be held accountable when it all goes pear shapped, i wouldn't have told the customer the BS they were told in the first place, but then again, that's probably why i'm not in sales, I'm too darn honest lol.gif

#6 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 08:13 AM

They obviously think you're smarter than them. wink1.gif

#7 NASA

NASA

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 08:18 AM

lol.gif I may not be as dumb as they look, but it doesn't help matters!

I appreciate the sentiment, but an ego massage was not the desired affect sad.gif

#8 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 08:22 AM

So what is the next thing to do if you have got a 1st page ranking for a major keyword, that seems to only bring 40 visitors a month to the site and not a single enquiry.

Find some more keywords and optimize for them.

#9 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 08:36 AM

Okay, so here's the real trick if you want it.

Marketing and much of effective Copywriting is more about listening to your target audience than it is about having specific skills or knowledge.

Sure being a skilled writer helps. Sure having a knowledge base of effective marketing techniques built up over years of experience can help provide some shortcuts. But by the same token those skills and knowledge can cause you to fall in a rut where you completely misinterpret what people are trying to tell you. And the interpretation often becomes very difficult because you're listening to people's actions. It's not like they're standing right in front of you telling you what they really think about your web site or your offer. Listening, from a marketing perspective, is much easier said than done. This is why you need a solid, repeatable process to conduct your conversion tests.

This potential of relying on faulty knowledge of previous data is why I always, without fail, include at least one version (of copy, layout, whatever-I'm-testing) that I'm absolutely positive will suck to high heaven in each of my conversion tests. Because I know whatever skill or knowledge I have might lead me down a false path, I always include something that is 180 degrees away from what I think should work best. You'd probably be amazed at the number of times my totally sucky version either ends up beating out what I thought should be the winner, or does well enough to point me in a new direction. We're talking about this unexpected outcome happening one-third of the time.

The moral of the story being: None of us are quite as smart as we'd hope we are. But we're not nearly as dumb as some seem to think we are. giggle.gif

#10 NASA

NASA

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 09:00 AM

So how did you get to be such a clever dick then Randy! notworthy.gif

Is it even possible for you to produce stuff that sucks, nah , contradiction in terms surely!

I guess split testing would be an option , if they had control over the site and i had the time to help them.

I explained to them about the split testing and suggested if they were serious about promoting their business , they need to look into getting a marking service to help with promotion, copy writing, marketing.

They need to put links in places their customers visit, etc. etc..

But how much did they just nod their head to thinking 'You what?' or 'Sod That, far too much effort!'

You cannot help those that won't help themselves!

#11 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 09:23 AM

hysterical.gif

I have two theories about business I live by that have always held true NASA.

1. If you're not willing to try and put in the effort you'll never have a successful business.

2. If not making mistakes you're not learning.

Which equates to, if you're willing to put forth the effort and are willing not only make mistakes but learn from them it's basically impossible to keep from having a successful business.

Pretty simple, eh?

Unfortunately it sounds like the folks you're trying to help are failing to reach #1. So they're not going to get a shot at #2.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We are now a read-only forum.

No new posts or registrations allowed.