• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo

Best Location For A Blog.

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Nanzilela Obejane

Nanzilela Obejane

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 04:21 AM

I have a blog on the Google blogger.com system (not on my website) that I began quietly to get stories linking back to my website. These articles have been picked up and I've noticed quite a few links coming from outside websites to the blog. I have a link in each days posting from the blog to my site.

So the query is, does my website get any of the kudo's from these incoming links to the blog or am I losing out? Would it be better to integrate a blog in the website?

Thanx.

PS, Don't know if I've posted this in the right section.

#2 NASA

NASA

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 04:35 AM

1st remember the SE's index pages not sites, so even if it is under your 'domain', it doesn't just pass your 'domain' juice because it resides on the same 'domain'.

Do the blog entries have links back to your actual website?

If so then you are passing link juice given from the external links, onto your website via the link on the blog.

also some may even argue that as the links are not 'internal' ie. 'same domain' they may actually carry more link juice PR!

Also the usual way a site distributes juice throughout a site is via the menu or footer links, which generally are on every page. so when ever a link to a specific page on your site is found, it will always pass juice throughout the site due to the 'internal' site links.

However, the more links on a page, the more the link juice PR is diluted across all pages linked to.

I hope that makes sense!

#3 Nanzilela Obejane

Nanzilela Obejane

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 06:51 AM

Thanx NASA, very good of you. Just the one query remains.

#4 NASA

NASA

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 07:54 AM

Each page on my website is linked to every other page on the website - that now sounds incorrect, do you agree?
no not at all, what I was getting at is the way you have it, with a separate blog site, which has IBLs from other sites, where the blog has a single backlink to your main site is perfect.

Because all thouse IBLS to the blog page are only diluted by one link back to your main website page.

Where as if you had the blog on your main domain, they would be considered 'internal links' for starters so potentially carrying less PR juice.

Also if you had your menu/footer structure from your main site on the blog page to make the blog in keeping with your main site design and navigation you would be diluting the blog PR juice being passed on.

Does that make it any clearer?

#5 Nanzilela Obejane

Nanzilela Obejane

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 08:23 AM

Yes, thanx very much. thumbup1.gif I think I'll continue as I am doing then. Nice to get something right without realising it.

#6 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,863 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 08:24 AM

Just discussed this in this week's newsletter:

Blogs and SEO

#7 NASA

NASA

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 08:46 AM

No probs, but remember if there is a menu structure / footer / navigation on the blog page, then the link juice will still be diluted across all links.

There is a debate over using the rel='nofollow' attribute on your internal links to do what is referred to as 'PR Sculpting or Shaping', but that's a whole other debate, and some question whether it could be seen as blackhat.gif 'black hat' SEO.

#8 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,579 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 11:41 AM

It's not black hat. You can put rel=nofollow on any link you want and the SEs won't care. That is not to say it's a good idea, or even something that the average webmaster needs to consider at all.

Personally, I think in the vast majority of cases it's "dunce cap" SEO more than anything else. clown2.gif

--Torka mf_prop.gif

#9 NASA

NASA

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 02:56 PM

Well you know me Torka!

Just remember my dunce hat is made from alluminium! mf_prop.gif

#10 torka

torka