• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Redirecting Time-sensitive Content

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 jsp1983

jsp1983

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 06:57 PM

I'm wondering what to do about pages on my site that are time sensitive. For example, I will have pages that offer information on deals and offers, but as they're only valid for a certain period, they become irrelevant once that time has passed.

If they rank for something, I'd like for them to remain useful, but I don't really want them to confuse visitors or put them off using my site, so I thought about redirecting them either to an up-to-date offer or the offers section itself. I'm wondering, though, if search engines would frown upon this, as the redirect won't point to pages that are very similar? I saw a Rand Fishkin video last week where he discussed a site with a popular piece of content that would have had lots of people pointing editorial links towards it, only for the site to then redirect visitors to a less relevant part of the site - he said that this could be a bit of a 'grey hat' area.

I think perhaps the other options are to either change the content on the page or just noindex it.

So what's the best thing to do?

#2 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 07:41 PM

Change the content, remove the page or do whatever is best for users.

If it's a time sensitive offer, logic would dictate that the page would simply disappear if it's not being replaced by another offer.

#3 jsp1983

jsp1983

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 07:46 PM

QUOTE(Randy @ Apr 16 2009, 01:41 AM) View Post
Change the content, remove the page or do whatever is best for users.

If it's a time sensitive offer, logic would dictate that the page would simply disappear if it's not being replaced by another offer.

My instinct would be to change the content... But then, it might not necessarily rank for what it was previously ranking for, would it? I wouldn't want to let that go to waste, but then I suppose user experience trumps rankings!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We are now a read-only forum.

No new posts or registrations allowed.