• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Old .dat File Created By Dos Database.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
9 replies to this topic

#1 rolf

rolf

HR 6

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 05:41 AM

I'm upgrading a very old system for a customer and the file that stores the records is a .dat file created on their current dos based system

I've managed to open the file in wordpad, and all the needed info is there, but there is also a lot of junk/unrecognised characters.

My immediate thought was that I could write a script to extract the recognisable bits, but not every field is filled in every record so there seems to be too many inconsistencies in the formatting for it to work.

Any ideas how to extract the data?

If it helps, the file is called eurofile.dat in a folder called 'mpro' - I've never heard of these names before, but it might some clues to someone familiar with older databases.

Thanks in advance

#2 NASA

NASA

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 05:49 AM

Hey Rolf,

It would help to understand what program created the file, that way you could possibly do a file convert.

DOS doesn't have a native DB structure, was it created with Paradox, FoxPro, Easytrieve, Dbase, Informix ? etc..

If the .dat file is a simple CSV type structure, then you could write your own conversion program, but you would have to know the table/data structure before you can do any 'hand rolled' conversion.

The only possible indication is the 'mpro', and doing a google for 'mpro dos database' I get...

CODE
http://www.masterfilepro.info/
http://www.idolinguo.org.uk/mpro/tips.htm

Both seem to indicate it stands for 'Masterfile Professional' an IBM database for DOS.

Hopefully this will get you on your way wink1.gif

Edited by NASA, 14 April 2009 - 06:23 AM.

#3 rolf

rolf

HR 6

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 04:42 AM

Hi Nasa,

Thanks for the input, DOS is really before my time so I can only use educated guess work about what I'm dealing with for that part. (I remember booting windows from DOS when I was a kid, but it was long gone by the time I was interested in computers for anything other than playing games.)

I'll try to find out what program was used to create it, unfortunately the guy who built it died about 10 years ago and no-one else has ever worked on it, so I don't have anyone to ask. I'll look into Masterfile Professional, sounds like a good bet, and in the meantime I'll go back to their office and have a poke about and see if I can pin it down.

Unfortunately the .dat file is not a CSV, which is what I was hoping when i agreed to take on the project. The bits of data I need are in plain text, but there's a lot of unrecognisable characters in there too, and none of it is separated or formatted uniformly so I'm sceptical about the possibility of automating the data conversion if I can't find something that reads it properly :-(

Thanks again. ale.gif

#4 Austen

Austen

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 12:38 PM

Hi Rolf

I stumbled across this post of yours today and may be able to offer some help. The program is indeed called master file Professional, and as you say, is a DOS based program. I do have it available on an old laptop, so I could get some of the data if it's not confidential and if you still require it.....

The program will only install from floppy disc. Unfortunately I have no means of copying my original discs, but if you want me to try, I'll see if I have a backup somewhere...

Regards

Austen

#5 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 6,795 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 06:45 AM

I think the 'problem' may have been fixed sometime in the FOUR YEARS that have passed by since this thread was started. :)

#6 Austen

Austen

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 09:18 AM

You make a fair point, chris. Unfortunately, I didn't see the date on the OP's post until after I sent it.

As I mentioned in my post, I 'stumbled across' the post, and in a spirit of kinship and general bonhomie, I tried to help.

I'm not perfect.

Austen

#7 Mikl

Mikl

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 06:23 AM

Actually, Austen makes a good point. Although the post's date and time and time appear at the top of the post, it's easy to overlook them.

I note that some forums automatically close a thread a given number of weeks or months after the last post. Would that be something to consider for High Rankings?

Just a thought. I don't feel strongly about it.

Mike

#8 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,919 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 06:51 AM

I would love to do that here. Not sure if it is an option though. 

#9 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 6,795 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 08:11 AM

http://community.inv...ose-old-topics/

#10 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,919 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 12:42 PM

Nice! Will put it on my growing list of things to do. Meanwhile will close this one by hand!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!