• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Emboldened Serps

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jsp1983

jsp1983

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 06:37 PM

This might sound a bit naive, but...

In the SERPs for a phrase I'm targeting, my site comes fourth. The competitor above me has the same terms emboldened in his SERP as mine, except that one of the terms is in his title, whilst mine is in my domain.

I'm not expecting a hard and fast rule on this, but generally speaking, does the number of terms emboldened in SERPs (and where in individual SERPs the terms are highlighted, e.g., title, body, URL) give an indication of how relevant Google (or any of the other engines) thinks a site is?

If I was to put the term in my title tag also, would that give a clear improvement (as opposed to just a little bit), or would it just be based on guess work?

#2 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 06:54 PM

The bolding effect you see in the SERPs has no direct effect on rankings. That all happens after the scoring has already taken place and is for display purposes only.

That said, the <title> tag is one of if not the most logical and powerful places to have your targeted keyword phrase. When possible it's wise to have your most valuable phrases in the <title> tag of your landing pages.

#3 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 08:33 AM

I'm not expecting a hard and fast rule on this, but generally speaking, does the number of terms emboldened in SERPs (and where in individual SERPs the terms are highlighted, e.g., title, body, URL) give an indication of how relevant Google (or any of the other engines) thinks a site is?

No.

#4 jsp1983

jsp1983

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 01:59 PM

Thanks for the replies- just wanted to see if there was a correlation between the two.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We are now a read-only forum.

No new posts or registrations allowed.