• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo

Adwords/analytics Problem

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Minerva

Minerva

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 03:00 PM

I'm far from an expert in Google Analytics and know very little about Adwords. But I'm still trying to help out a client who has an issue with these two products. It's like the blind leading the blind. Maybe someone can shed some light for me!

The client firm created two Google accounts - Account A has over a year's worth of Analytics. This was the only tracking code on the website. Someone else at the firm created a separate Adwords account (Account B ). We've tried linking them, and each account gives permissions to the other. But Analytics on Account A was not pulling in any data from Account B's Adwords. THey had no data for Adwords. So I suggested an experiment of adding the Account B's tracking code to the site along with the original Account A tracking account. It worked somewhat - organic analytics data was collected for both Account A and B. But even Account B, which as the Adwords, is not collecting analytics for their Adwords campaign. All data is zero's.

When you click Analytics from Account B, it says "Although this AdWords account is linked to an Analytics account, your AdWords login email address is not listed as a user on that Analytics account. Please contact the administrator of the Analytics account and request that they add you as a user to this Analytics account. " This doesn't make any sense to me because it's all the same login/account. Even still, the account gives permission to itself and we still don't have analytics data for Adwords.

Unfortunately, the client is way too small to have a Google rep to call for help.

This is making my head spin. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Andrea

#2 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 06:43 PM

What the error message says to me is that one email address was used when setting up the Adwords account, and a different email address was used when setting up the Analytics account. All the rest of the login info could be the same, but if they point at different email addresses it's going to throw up a red flag.

Think of it as sort of an ultimate failsafe that Google wouldn't show any Adwords data in Analytics unless and until those two match. Or until the Adwords user was listed as a User on the Analytics account. Call it poor man's security as a first line of defense to make sure people who are not authorized to see some sensitive data don't get to see it.

You may be able to simply add the Adwords user logon to Analytics, but then it may be a case where only someone logging in with that Adwords login will see the Adwords info. Otherwise you'd need to move one or the other, effectively merging the two accounts into one. I think it would probably be easiest to move the Adwords to a different Google account. I don't believe you can actually move an Analytics account. Only allow additional users to log in and see data.

Google's help topic on the subject of moving accounts is here in case it'll help.

#3 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,011 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 08:37 AM

Did you link the analytics account by going through the adwords account first? They have to be the same login, and you have to go to adwords click on the analytics tab and do it there. Any other way won't work.

If you still can't get it to work, I'd suggest adding campaign tracking codes to the Adwords ad links, which will essentially do the same thing as you'll be able to see the traffic that's specifically from your adwords in the campaign area of Google Analytics.

#4 Minerva

Minerva

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 03:21 PM

Thanks, good advice from both of you. I will try to sort this out. It just occurred to me that their Analytics account was created with a non-Gmail address. I think you have to have a Gmail address to give permission to access different accounts, so maybe it's also causing a problem with linking accounts.

#5 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,011 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 03:25 PM

Yes, most likely that's the problem or part of it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!