• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

What Does Rcvirtualitem Mean?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 cresus

cresus

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 05:34 AM

Hi,

I downloaded a free WebAnalyzer program which I think is very good but I don't know how to use its analysis

For all folders that have no link I get an rcVirtualItem error (there are files inside the folder with a link, it is just the folder itself that is not linked) Like : .../products/ does not have a link but .../products/prices.php has a link.

I analyzed some top-notch sites and I saw that these too had this error.

If I create an index.php file for each folder and I link to .../products/, and the index.php redirects to an important file in this folder say prices.php then the rcVirtualItem error dissapears. I have read though of something called cloaking that is bad SEO practice. Can this be considered cloaking?

My question is do I need to bother with this rcVirtualItem error or it doesn't really matter?

Edited by cresus, 11 April 2009 - 05:47 AM.

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,963 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 10:24 AM

I think you need to ask the creators of the application that you're using.

#3 Ron Carnell

Ron Carnell

HR 6

• 966 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 12:35 PM

Programmers only include code to cover a contingency if they can imagine the contingency. I would suspect you're seeing a programming error because someone didn't think of the possibility of not having a default page in every folder.

The error code is probably spurious. That's their problem, not yours.

However, not including a default page in your folders means that any visitor trying to go there (and they will!) will either get a 403 Forbidden page or a directory listing. That's probably not very user friendly, and that is indeed your problem. Generally speaking, I think every folder should contain a default page, even if it's just a zero-length file.

And to answer your question, no, a redirect from the default page to another page would not be considered cloaking.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!