• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Multimedia File Metadata - Indexable?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jsp1983

jsp1983

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 09:51 PM

Well, I suppose the answer is 'yes', but what I mean to ask is, do any of the search engines index the metadata found in various multimedia files? I've done some searches to try to find examples, but haven't come across anything yet, but I'd be surprised if Google wasn't looking at it for 'something'- whatever that might be.

#2 cswilliams

cswilliams

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 12:23 PM

What do you mean by "indexing"? Do you mean are they indexing it as a separate file? Or (my assumption) that the metadata is used to help the SE identify the topic/relevance of the multimedia file? If the latter, then everything I"ve heard or read is a yes, although I imagine it depends upon the type of file.

#3 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 07:13 PM

Just a note here that I think jsp is talking about metadata of the files themselves, and not the <meta> tag data of html files.

To which the answer is a big old It Depends. Some filetypes they're at least looking at if not indexing. Other filetypes are still out there a bit beyond their capabilities yet.

#4 jsp1983

jsp1983

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 09:41 AM

QUOTE(Randy @ Apr 14 2009, 01:13 AM) View Post
Just a note here that I think jsp is talking about metadata of the files themselves, and not the <meta> tag data of html files.

To which the answer is a big old It Depends. Some filetypes they're at least looking at if not indexing. Other filetypes are still out there a bit beyond their capabilities yet.

Bit of a late response from me, but why change the habit of a lifetime? wink1.gif

As an example of metadata from files (yes, you were right with the type of metadata I'm talking about, Randy), I thought indexing MP3s would be the best example. I haven't seen any evidence that the likes of Google are indexing and making use of the metadata, but I think it's strange that they aren't yet doing this.

I mean, Google/ YouTube can already reference parts of audio and match patterns within pictures, so why wouldn't they make ready use of data that's begging to be indexed (data that is specifically provided for indexing, too!)?

#5 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 04:57 PM

It wouldn't surprise me if they're working towards that goal jsp. But like you've I've not seen anything in the SERPs to suggest they've gotten close enough to release anything to the public as yet.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We are now a read-only forum.

No new posts or registrations allowed.