• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Google Prefereces Wont Stick: Help!

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 kevs

kevs

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 12:16 AM

I've tried everything and I'm pulling my hair out. (including the Google forum)
In Google, my preferences used to stick for years and years. 100 results per page etc.

Now, they wont stick. Perious. They always revert back to defaults, in hour, next day etc.
I've cleared cache and all Google cookies. I'm out of ideas. thanks!

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 08:07 AM

How about a different browser?

#3 kevs

kevs

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 02:39 PM

Firfox may be better, but I want to stay with Safari for multiple reasons.

Just wonder why it sticks for years and then suddenly wont stick.

#4 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 07:05 AM

Are you logged into your account sometimes and not logged in other times? That's the first thing that leaps to mind.

Otherwise, I believe the preference identification info is saved in a cookie. So if it's not sticking it would lead first to a possible cookie issue.

#5 kevs

kevs

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 12:13 PM

Thanks Randy,
usually I'm not logged into my Google account, but occasionally I am, but rarely.

I have deleted ALL cookies -- no success.

Someone on another forum suggested deleting:
Cookies.plist

I did that yesterday, so far so good, lets see....
I'm on Mac/Safari

#6 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 08:37 AM

Well, if it's any consolation it's not only happening in Mac/Safari. People have been reporting the same issue with Firefox 3 on both Windows and Mac machines. There is some question with that one whether it's a Browser issue or a Google issue, since someone went into the Firefox 3 code and noted that the max number of cookies FF will accept is 1,000, with a further limit of a maximum cookies per host being 50. That first one especially is a potential bugaboo since there are a lot of folks out there today using things like Google Analytics where multiple cookies get set per domain. A possible cause for sure since the oldest cookie would cease to be used and 1,000 isn't all that many.

No clue whether Safari has something similar or not.

Then there's also the potential of Google preferences not being compatible with new browsers because it doesn't recognize them in whatever back end code they're using to detect preferences. That's why it's not wise from the coding perspective to categorize by browser type and release version. Or if you have to tie things to a release number have some sort of default that undefined browser will fall back to.

I have no solutions. But if it matters, at least you're not the only person seeing such behavior. And if it's any further consolation, Google's own Chrome browser has the same sort of issues. Which leaves me leaning towards it being an issue on Google's end of the equation. Though Chrome does also use the Safari WebKit, so there's a common denominator there too.

#7 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 08:59 AM

I find similar problems lately with staying logged into gmail or twitter. Seems I'm constantly having to put my info in these days. Typically with Firefox, but even with Chrome a lot too.

#8 kevs

kevs

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 11:37 AM

Thanks Randy/Jill,
I do appreciate knowing this is going on with other folks in similar situations.

I agree it's probably on Googles back end.

It's very perplexing. Google preference always stuck fine, and now don't stick.

I have deleted all cookies and also the cookie preference file. I'll report back if that finally works. If you hear something let me know.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We are now a read-only forum.

No new posts or registrations allowed.