• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Video: Embedded Youtube Vs. Self-hosting

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#16 Mr Biggles

Mr Biggles

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 05:52 PM

QUOTE(frances @ Apr 15 2009, 04:36 AM) View Post
This is just one example so doesn't really carry much weight.

This is for a client site that already ranks well for - say - bicycles. We decided to host the videos with well optimized pages, video sitemap and thumbnails, mainly because the videos weren't that sexy and I didn't imagine they would do that well on youtube.

A year later - our video page is the first video in the Google results for bicycles and with a thumbnail. The highest ranking youtube videos are about six spots lower. And no way would we have beaten then on youtube.

So for us, hosting worked better. Though who knows how long it will last...

Thats interesting, I have taken an each way bet and put a small version of the same video on the same page as the high def embedded Youtube version.

The small video (@8mb) is self hosted, this is apposed to the HD version on youtube at @250MB

Example here if its allowed: www.creydall.com/videos/Business_backup_Strategies_01.html

I agree with others regarding reelSEO, I have found it a great site for this sort of information.

I am also using a site called tubemogul which allows for one upload to multiple video sites.

The thing I like about video at the moment is that it is not yet saturated, in my industry, nobody is doing it which makes things a bit easier. I like the fact videos now get into the main search results on Google. Its like the early 90's all over again, unsophisticated at the moment girl_cray2.gif You never know I may actually succeed at this SEO game yet... I hate things that are a science with black magic tendancies, I would never of made a good anesthetist!

I also upload all videos in high definition to youtube - you can tell because they have a HQ or HD icon on the bottom right side, you can also force visitors to watch in HD by adding something to the end of the embed code.

Edited by Jill, 16 April 2009 - 08:13 AM.
removed live link as it's unnecessary for the discussion

#17 EddyGonzalez

EddyGonzalez

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 05:46 AM

QUOTE(frances @ Apr 14 2009, 07:06 PM) View Post
This is just one example so doesn't really carry much weight.

This is for a client site that already ranks well for - say - bicycles. We decided to host the videos with well optimized pages, video sitemap and thumbnails, mainly because the videos weren't that sexy and I didn't imagine they would do that well on youtube.

A year later - our video page is the first video in the Google results for bicycles and with a thumbnail. The highest ranking youtube videos are about six spots lower. And no way would we have beaten then on youtube.

So for us, hosting worked better. Though who knows how long it will last...

Thats really interesting, I was under the impression that videos appearing on the SERPs all came from YouTube or Google Video, or have I mis-read your post?
unsure.gif

#18 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,138 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 08:14 AM

I was under the impression that videos appearing on the SERPs all came from YouTube or Google Video

No, they can come from anywhere. But they do tend to come from those places since so many upload to them.

#19 Gerry White

Gerry White

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 09:06 AM

QUOTE(Jill @ Apr 16 2009, 02:14 PM) View Post
No, they can come from anywhere. But they do tend to come from those places since so many upload to them.

Yep - we have now had reportable success on getting videos listed for a reasonable competitive term - granted on page 3 of the serps, but we hope down the line to imrpove on it ...

Oddly, Google managed to pick up on one video despite not having a v. sitemap - not sure how ..

#20 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,138 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 11:21 AM

Oddly, Google managed to pick up on one video despite not having a v. sitemap - not sure how ..

That's not odd at all. Google doesn't need sitemaps, they're just a bonus extra, imo.

#21 icecape67

icecape67

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 12:12 PM

I dont think there's any difference (or significant at least) on the ranking but it does afect a lot the click thru rate.

I got a site with both you tube embeded videos and internaly hosted videos. Without the video sitemap there was not apperent diffence between the two as they got equal rankings on google.

After i created a video sitemap there was still no significant difference on rankings of both, but there's a massive difference with the click-thru rate as the internaly hosted videos have the thumnails on google listings, and an image is an excellent call to action.

#22 EddyGonzalez

EddyGonzalez

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 06:03 AM

Just been looking through ReelSEO and its a great resource. I appreciate that v. sitemaps are a bonus extra but seems worth doing for the amount of work required to do.
Currently my site has videos that are FLVs embedded on the home page. Would it be better to have these videos exist on a separate page each with their own URL etc?

#23 MarkisLearning

MarkisLearning

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 08:33 AM

If you host the video on YouTube you must realize and recognize that you're giving up a certain level of control

That's a great point. I have been wondering whether to do this for my site, it is fairly new but I wanted a "welcome" video on my home page. I had been debating in my mind whether to use YouTube or just host it on my site. In a way, it is about control. You do want to target specific visitors, not just go viral.

Maybe two separate videos in the same theme? A short intro on YouTube and a full version on your own site?

#24 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,138 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 01:01 PM

Maybe two separate videos in the same theme? A short intro on YouTube and a full version on your own site?

You can embed the youtube video on your site and target the same visitors you would if it were hosted on your server.

#25 copywriter

copywriter

HR 7

• 1,856 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 03:46 PM

I'm now going through this with a client of mine.  I see this thread is from 4 years ago.  My thoughts are still that self-hosting is best. I don't think there has been any significant changes in what's been said, but video isn't my forte.

Anything else to be aware of?

What about closed captioning and duplicate content?  Are we to the point yet of counting the same video uploaded to multiple sites as dup content?

#26 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,720 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 09:20 AM

Not to throw a monkey wrench into the discussion, but there is a third alternative, of course -- video hosting somewhere other than YouTube. That's what my company decided to do. We've got some large download files offered through our website, so we were already bumping against the upper limit of our disk space at our hosting company. Adding HD videos (or even a significant number of standard-def videos) would have put us over the limit.

We also had an issue with YouTube where they shut down our old video channel for some reason. No warning, no notification of what the problem was, no nothing. Just one day, a video channel that had been in place for five years was gone. Frustrating, but when you're not paying anything for an account, that's a risk you take. I had been advising people for years this is why you don't want to put a business blog on a free hosting service -- they can delete your account at any time, for any reason (or for no reason at all). I should have taken my own advice...

So, anyway, we decided to go with a company called SproutVideo. They are reasonably priced, their service has so far been excellent, you can customize the video player when you embed the videos, you can add your own customized pre-play and post-play screens, and they offer closed-captioning, customizable playlists, analytics and video SEO features like automatically-generated video sitemaps, all included in the cost. They also offer you complete control over who can  (or cannot) embed your videos and two choices of streaming methods.

To be fair, these options are not unusual among the paid video-hosting services. It's just a matter of shopping around and figuring out which one offers the best combo of features and price to suit you.

The big upside for us was that -- since the account is paid for -- as long as we keep paying for it, it's probably not going to get deleted without any warning.

We still put our videos on YouTube, as well, in case anybody goes searching for us there. We don't mind if they decide to view the videos on our (new) channel there. And, of course, the new channel links to our home page, so if they find us via YouTube, they can easily get to our website. We just don't use YouTube for embedding on our site. (But they are there as backup. In case something untoward happens with the SproutVideo account, we can quickly switch our page code to reference the YouTube hosted videos instead until we're able to find another video hosting provider.)

I think we've got the best of both worlds. We don't have to worry about our videos not working because our channel has been deleted without notice. We don't have to worry about disk space or bandwidth issues with our hosting company. And we get access to advanced features that are difficult or impossible to implement through YouTube.

(Oh, and to correct an impression left from one of the four-year-ago posts: you can prevent others from embedding your video even if it's posted on YouTube. You can also add closed captioning. In fact, I use YouTube's caption-sync feature to generate the VTT format caption files I need to upload to SproutVideo for their closed captioning. :)  )

My :02:

--Torka :propeller:

Edited by torka, 25 September 2013 - 09:21 AM.

#27 copywriter

copywriter

HR 7

• 1,856 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 11:19 AM

Thanks for the info, Torka.  They want to host on their own site and they want to put the videos on YouTube.

Just wondering if - because of Closed Captioning - we are to the point where the same video on multiple sites would denote duplicate content.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!