• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Domain Names And Quality Score

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Bowan

Bowan

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 12:01 AM

Does having the matching domain name for a search keyword have a large influence on your quality score for googles page ranking system?

I'm doing an online marketing campaign using google as a medium for a website. However even though they own the domain name, e.g. july.com, when you search for july it ranks on the 3rd page. What else should they consider to increase their rank?

#2 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 06:22 AM

Welcome Bowan ! hi.gif

Does having the matching domain name for a search keyword have a large influence on your quality score for googles page ranking system?

As you've already seen, the answer is No.

The [url=http://www.highrankings.com/forum/index.php/topic/833-tips-for-new-seos/]Tips for Newbies[/url] should help you start concentrating on the things that matter.

#3 Zero

Zero

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 09:33 AM

Hello,

I have been reading that having keyword in domain name doesn't make that much difference on the forums, but i wanted to test it myself and i was surprised when i saw the result. Because it really effected search ranking. 2 weeks ago i lunched my website name is seokaynagi dot com (kaynagi means source) and 2-3 days later my page had been indexed, and i did search my keywords on google seo kaynagi ( seo source ) i was in the first page and first position 369,000 result. and than i thought it is because i have all keywords that i search, in my domain. and I tried with seo kaynaklari (plural ). Surprisingly Im in the sixth page out of 577.000 result . Although my domain name is fresh, i got these results. After seeing those result i start to believe that it really effects more then i thought. Because even when we are doing SEO on some website, we also change page names like if it is product.htm will be cell-phone-product.htm right? and it does effect and with having keywords on domain must effect as much as changing the name of the pages.

It was my experience indicates that importance of the keywords in domain name but i really wanna see more articles with convincing information to believe that it doesn't effect.

#4 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,005 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 12:14 PM

If the phrase is uncompetitive, i.e, there are not many pages out there optimized for the phrase, then just having keywords in the domain can indeed have an effect.

#5 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 12:35 PM

i was in the first page and first position 369,000 result

Just for the record, there are not 369,000 results for the phrase. Not that 369,000 documents is competitive in the first place. Anyway, if you search for the exact phrase with quotes around it you'll to get closer to the real number. I come up with a whopping 193 pages competing for this very, very UNcompetitive term.

Anybody wanna bet on how long it take HRF to jump into the top 10 as soon as this thread with a single post mentioning term with no anchor text gets spidered? giggle.gif I'll go ya one better. I bet if just one or two of us linked to this thread with that single post and used the term as anchor text this thread would jump to the #1 spot straight away.

In short, you're mixing up cause and effect.

#6 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,157 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 03:52 PM

It doesn't matter if you use the keywords in the domain name or the page name. Launching new content for an uncompetitive expression will have the same effect regardless of where the keywords go.

#7 liquidgraph

liquidgraph

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 10:35 AM

I've developed a few sites in my time and can confirm that keywords in the domain really help, especially for competitive phrases. For Yahoo, it's especially important. I have a few sites that rank #1 in Yahoo for very competitive phrase because I phrase IS the domain name. I did no further optimization on those sites.

#8 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,636 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 08:09 PM

How do you know it's the keyword in the domain name and not anchor text in links pointing to the site? I mean, if the domain name is the keyword, then links pointing to the domain, whether they contain the name of the site or the domain name, will contain the keyword, too.

Just curious how you know for sure it's the domain name and nothing else...

--Torka mf_prop.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!