• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Subdomains And Google Ranks

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 jahwise

jahwise

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 05:22 PM

Re: Subdomains and Google Ranks

We are corporately working to get as much branding and the SEO value to the domain "domain.com" as possible and wanted to open a discussion about the pro/cons of the following:

We are trying to get an understanding of the impact to SEO if we begin running some web forms under a URL of "resources.domain.com/ibm" for 2-3 months and then change the location to be www.domain.com/resources/ibm and do redirect of the original URL "resources.domain.com/ibm".

Also, how are 3rd level domain ( i.e. resource.domain.com ) compared to primary domain ( i.e. domain.com ) as a base URL for web sites for SEO rankings?
What the best practice for getting them to be advantageous to each other?

Thanks in advance,

Taylor

#2 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 06:36 PM

There's not really any advantage or disadvantage to using subdomains vs using subdirectories these days. At one time subdomains would potentially allow you to get more than two pages of a domain to rank in the same SERP. Google started treating subdomains pretty much like they do subdirectories with their host crowding approach several months ago.

#3 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 06:59 PM

We are trying to get an understanding of the impact to SEO if we begin running some web forms under a URL of "resources.domain.com/ibm" for 2-3 months and then change the location to be www.domain.com/resources/ibm and do redirect of the original URL "resources.domain.com/ibm".

Why change the URL? I would urge you not to ever change a URL if you don't have to. If you do have to, then at least the use of a 301 redirect will help.

#4 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,325 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 03:56 PM

I think what you're describing would have a negative impact on search visibility and rankings as the search engines would have to update their data.

And subdomains should only be used where they can provide substantial value to visitors. People have gotten whole domains banned by trying to use subdomains for SEO.

#5 AntonRSA

AntonRSA

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 12:26 PM

QUOTE(Michael Martinez @ Apr 8 2009, 10:56 PM) View Post
I think what you're describing would have a negative impact on search visibility and rankings as the search engines would have to update their data.

And subdomains should only be used where they can provide substantial value to visitors. People have gotten whole domains banned by trying to use subdomains for SEO.

Wont subdomains be indexed faster if the domain implementing the subdomain already have a good indexed status?

#6 cswilliams

cswilliams

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 12:34 PM

QUOTE(Randy @ Apr 7 2009, 07:36 PM) View Post
There's not really any advantage or disadvantage to using subdomains vs using subdirectories these days. At one time subdomains would potentially allow you to get more than two pages of a domain to rank in the same SERP. Google started treating subdomains pretty much like they do subdirectories with their host crowding approach several months ago.

Is this really the case? I know Google has said they are doing that, but I see plenty of SERPs that contain 4 or more results from same domain. e.g., search on "java sun" and you get 2 from sun.com, two from java.sun.com , two from developers.sun.com.

#7 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 06:58 PM

QUOTE(AntonRSA)
Wont subdomains be indexed faster if the domain implementing the subdomain already have a good indexed status?

Faster than subdirctories linked in exactly the same manner would be indexed? No. It's about the links, not the question of whether it's a subdomain or subdirectory.

Is this really the case? I know Google has said they are doing that, but I see plenty of SERPs that contain 4 or more results from same domain. e.g., search on "java sun" and you get 2 from sun.com, two from java.sun.com , two from developers.sun.com.

There are some notable exceptions where the target site is the authority on a given search term. But as a general rule for normal sites, yes it's true that subdomains are now treated like subdirectories --with the host crowding effect-- where Google is concerned.

#8 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,325 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 04:03 PM

Google has said, through a couple of employees, that in order for a subdomain to be treated as a substantially different site it needs to have substantially different content.

If you're just injecting keywords into boilerplate text and hoping for the old time-honored subdomain effect, I think you're setting yourself up for disappointment.

I use subdomains on my personal sites and they are very distinct from the main site content. They are standalone sites for which I did not want to buy and maintain domain names.

There is, of course, a brand connection between subdomain and home domain, but the content is substantially unique and organized according to its own needs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We are now a read-only forum.

No new posts or registrations allowed.