• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Redirect From Godaddy

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Marchy

Marchy

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 03:11 PM

I have redirected domain names from goddaddy as a 301 but it seems that it is a 302. There reason why I did this is that on my website we deal with a lot of people over the phone so I wanted our telephonist to refer someone to a simple url like bbb.com as oppose to domain.com/bbb_det_html. Now when you put in bbb.com. that brings you to an inner page on my site. Any pages on my site will always show bbb.com in the address bar when you surf in it with bbb.com. So I was wondering if it would be consider cloaking? The only reason I did this was to make easy for our telephonist and our client to go to a specific page.

#2 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 03:22 PM

You're saying the url doesn't change in the browser address bar?

If so, it's not a true 302. That sounds more like a framed redirect.

In any case, if the bbb.com domain isn't getting links pointing at it you're not really losing anything. If it is getting links pointing to it then you'll want the redirect to be 301 to preserve link popularity transfer.

This has been an ongoing problem with GoDaddy redirects for ages. You're not going to get them to change how they do those. Folks have been trying to get them to change for years, and as you see it's still happening.

#3 Marchy

Marchy

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 05:26 PM

How should i proceed to do a real 301. This domain(bbb.com) is not hosted so I don't know how I can do it beside what I was doing. There are no links to it. I just wanted to make sure that the search engine would not threat this as cloaking.

#4 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 06:29 PM

So bbb.com is parked on top of the real domain?

What kind of hosting OS is on your server. IIS or *nix? And if it's *nix can use use .htaccess to use mod rewrite? And are there any subdomains other than www. that need to be accounted for?

If it's unix/linux with Apache and mod_rewrite available you should be able to do a negative match against the main domain. Meaning it would forward bbb.com since bbb.com doesn't match the main domain.

CODE
RewriteEngine on
RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} !^www\.maindomain\.com [NC]
RewriteRule ^(.*)$ http://www.maindomain.com/$1 [R=301,L]

#5 Marchy

Marchy

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 09:03 AM

Thanks Randy,

Do you think it could be consider as cloaking? I got a penalty on my site 4 days ago so I am trying to see anything that can be wrong. I went from first on Google to page4-5 on every keywords I was first, minor or major ones.

More the fact that with this redirect with Godaddy, the url never changed whatever the page I was going on my site after I entered my site with bbb.com.

#6 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,928 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 12:15 PM

I got a penalty on my site 4 days ago

How do you know you got a penalty? Were you told this by Google? Cuz if not, then it's doubtful you got one.

And no, what you're doing doesn't have anything to do with cloaking.

#7 Marchy

Marchy

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 03:52 PM

QUOTE(Jill @ Apr 8 2009, 01:15 PM) View Post
How do you know you got a penalty? Were you told this by Google? Cuz if not, then it's doubtful you got one.

And no, what you're doing doesn't have anything to do with cloaking.

I was first on Google for all the major keywords in my field for the last 2 years and last Sunday I ended up on page 4-5 for allthe keywords and even the minor ones in Canada.

#8 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 06:34 PM

There could still be a multitude of reasons for that happening. Including the possibility that Google has just temporarily freaked out. It does happen, unfortunately.

#9 Marchy

Marchy

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 10:37 AM

QUOTE(Randy @ Apr 8 2009, 07:34 PM) View Post
There could still be a multitude of reasons for that happening. Including the possibility that Google has just temporarily freaked out. It does happen, unfortunately.

Right now what I am doing is to review my whole site. Checking my content for any over optimizing, duplicate content etc. Checking any bad outbound link but still I annot really figure out what happen. The toughest thing is to figure out what it is that caused it from Google's viewpoint?

QUOTE(Jill @ Apr 8 2009, 01:15 PM) *

If they would penalized me. What would be the way they would communicate it? (via my Google account?)

#10 Marchy

Marchy

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 09:12 AM

HI Guys, so I just finish rechecking my site. I have took off anything that would not be SE friendly, too much stuffing keywords, change content that was duplicate etc. My site is now "by the book". I was wondering what would be my next steps? I thought that I should just do as if I never had a penalty. Continue to create good content, getting links etc.

#11 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,928 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 11:09 AM

I was wondering what would be my next steps? I thought that I should just do as if I never had a penalty. Continue to create good content, getting links etc.

I would try that first for awhile and see what happens. If after a few months you don't see any results, then perhaps submit a reinclusion request.

#12 Marchy

Marchy

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 11:30 AM

QUOTE(Jill @ Apr 27 2009, 12:09 PM) View Post
I would try that first for awhile and see what happens. If after a few months you don't see any results, then perhaps submit a reinclusion request.

That was I was wondering cause my site did not get banned so I was wondering about the reinclusion. I am on page 5 of every single keywords U had. It happened to me a few years ago and it lasted 3 months and then came back to exactly where it was before the penalty.

#13 Marchy

Marchy

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 11:04 AM

QUOTE(Jill @ Apr 27 2009, 12:09 PM) View Post

HI Guys, so I have fixed my site. All the content was reviewed and all duplicate content were taken off and then I resubmitted it on May 5. Then I got no changes so the last week I have sent e-mails to people where I weas involved in 3 way links ( it was not that there was a lot maybe 25-30 of them) Most them took off my links per my request. So I resubmitted my site for reconsideration again on the webmaster tool on June 18th and 6 days later got this message.

"We received a request from a site owner to reconsider how we index the following site: http://www.example.com/.

We've now reviewed your site. When we review a site, we check to see if it's in violation of our Webmaster Guidelines. If we don't find any problems, we'll reconsider our indexing of your site. If your site still doesn't appear in our search results, check our Help Center for steps you can take."

I was wondering if anyone got that kind of message and got back to where they were or re-indexed if they were banned. Also how long it takes after this to see changes?

#14 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 11:52 AM

That's just their standard reply letter I believe Marchy. They don't actually tell you if you've passed the review or not. And it's important to remember that even if you did pass the review it could still take anywhere from a few weeks to several months to get the site included in the index again.

They've never laid out what things cause a longer time out after the reinclusion/review process. But they have said more than once that some sites with more serious previous violations or multiple violations may still not be totally reindexed and returned to the SERPs for many months.

#15 Marchy

Marchy

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 12:55 PM

QUOTE(Randy @ Jun 29 2009, 12:52 PM) View Post
That's just their standard reply letter I believe Marchy. They don't actually tell you if you've passed the review or not. And it's important to remember that even if you did pass the review it could still take anywhere from a few weeks to several months to get the site included in the index again.

They've never laid out what things cause a longer time out after the reinclusion/review process. But they have said more than once that some sites with more serious previous violations or multiple violations may still not be totally reindexed and returned to the SERPs for many months.

It is really confusing when you start looking for some answers regarding this on the internet. There are different answers but also it is tough to compare the different penalties as they are probably for different reasons and they do not tell you why you were penalized for.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!