• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Seo Via Multiple Domains

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 curris01

curris01

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 April 2009 - 11:51 PM

Hello All,

I recently attended a seminar given by a SEO Expert. His advice was that companies should setup multiple domains featuring a combination of the company name and town/city/suburb names, e.g. acmeperth.com.au, acmemelbourne.com.au etc, all of which would have identical copy and cross links. His argument being that because domains are so cheap to register, and content so easy to replicate, this is a cost effective way of increasing search engine visibility. When someone searches your particular keyword the first page would be dominated by your list of domains.

I am curious as to whether anyone has actually done this and if it was a successful strategy. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,967 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 08:34 AM

The alleged expert is most definitely not one.

It's a ridiculous, outdated strategy that will most definitely not help you, and possibly hurt you.

#3 bobmeetin

bobmeetin

HR 6

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 09:06 AM

I wish I could get paid for every boneheaded thing I've ever done or said, especially those where I "profess" to be an expert. This sounds very much like a spamming, duplicate content technique. Did he offer a 30 feet or 30 second money back guarantee? You said a seminar which means these recommendations are being passed along to other unsuspecting souls. I bow to the gods of censorship...

crossfingers.gif

#4 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,967 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 11:56 AM

Come to think of it, I just remembered that this is a question from our SEO FAQ.

Should I buy numerous keyword rich domains?

#5 Alan Perkins

Alan Perkins

Token male admin

• Admin
  • 1,642 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 04:06 PM

QUOTE(curris01)
all of which would have identical copy and cross links ... When someone searches your particular keyword the first page would be dominated by your list of domains.
This simply would not work. Search engines work had (and effectively) to keep duplicate content out of search results. They would prefer to show 10 different pieces of content than, effectively, the same content 10 times over.

His argument being that because domains are so cheap to register, and content so easy to replicate, this is a cost effective way of increasing search engine visibility.
Off-page factors such as inbound links, anchor text, Pagerank and domain history also play a part. Did this expert talk about this? If you have 10 domains, you have 10 times as much work to do in buillding up the off-page ranking criteria - just so that the duplicate content on those 10 domains can compete against each other for the one spot in the search results they can hope to get. You are far better to focus your efforts on one "champion" page than 10 also-rans.

The way I think of duplicate content issues is like this: for each keyword you're targeting, you're looking to send out your champion, the best page you have to compete against all the other pages out there. It doesn't matter how many pages you have, because only one, your best one, can compete. Take a look at the DVD cover of Troy - do you want Achilles fighting for you, or one of the many footsoldiers behind him? For each piece of unique content you have, you need to create an Achilles, a champion page, to represent that piece of unique content for you in the battle for keyword rankings.

#6 curris01

curris01

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 April 2009 - 01:53 AM

Thank you for your replies, they have been quite helpful.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!