• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo

Tracking Conversions With A Separate Telephone Number

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 logos1234

logos1234

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 04 April 2009 - 06:07 PM

Hi,

I haven't been able to find the information I needed in the forum, although I'm sure it must have been covered.

I am running an Adwords campaign and I have installed coversion tracking to track a contact form completion. There is only 1 landing page currently.

The main contact page has a telephone number. What are the steps I need to take to use another telephone number to track PPC conversions?

Thanks

#2 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 04 April 2009 - 06:44 PM

Does the page only get PPC traffic?

The easiest way is to make sure the landing page is only available from clicks on your ads (exclude it via robots.txt) and make sure it's not linked to anywhere in your site navigation or other links. Then simply list a different contact phone number from what you have anywhere else once you're sure it's only getting traffic from your PPC channel.

Of course you'll need some sort of back end system to record whatever data you need for calls made to this special phone number.

#3 logos1234

logos1234

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 04 April 2009 - 07:02 PM

Thanks Randy,

No, the page gets traffic from other areas of the site and eventually will from search engines once I have optimised it.

Could I somehow duplicate the page but use a different URL, so 1 for SEO and 1 for PPC (and exclude the PPC one from SEs with robots.txt)? It's late and I've had a glass of wine and my logic brain cell is going...I think this makes sense and would work though. smile.gif

#4 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 06:20 AM

Yup, that's exactly how I'd do it logos.

#5 logos1234

logos1234

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 09:02 AM

Thanks Randy,

I'll give that a try.

#6 Alan Perkins

Alan Perkins

Token male admin

• Admin
  • 1,642 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 03:30 PM

That method is nice and simple but has its limitations. For example if a visitor starts navigating their way around your site (e.g. looking at the home page or "About Us" page to get some further idea of who you are) then they will soon see the wrong phone number.

The best method is to cookie up each visitor with a value indicating the source of their referral; then write out any assets (text, images, audio or video) that contain the phone number paying attention to the cookie. This method is not perfect either, but is a bit more reliable than duplicate pages.

#7 logos1234

logos1234

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 05:27 PM

Thanks Alan,

Yes I kind of understood the drawbacks of the duplicate page method, I was wondering how I would get around visitors looking at other areas of the site. For a smallish site, is the cookie method something that is relatively easy/ inexpensive for a Developer to do? I would like the campaign to continue, but measurement is vital to prove the case, especially when there is a fair amount of budget involved per month. I think the only content that would need to be varied is the landing page and the contact page.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!