• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Specific Links On Serp When I Search For Www.mydomain.com

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 EricLaszlo

EricLaszlo

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 07:41 PM

Hi, folks --

When I search for www.mydomain.com (which actually accounts for 25% of our search engine traffic), our home page title and desc. appear, but they're followed by eight specific links within the website and to related subdomains. (I have attached the Google SERP for "www.highrankings.com" as an example.)

A couple of questions:

1) Do these links have a name?
2) How can we influence what appears here?

The problem is that one of our company's divisions does not appear among the eight links, even though they figure prominently in the site's top nav in the same way as other divisions.

TIA,
Eric Fettman

#2 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 04 April 2009 - 07:26 AM

They're called Site Links Eric.

You can control which pages you do not want to show up in them via Google's Webmaster Tools thingee. However you cannot directly control what does show up there.

#3 EricLaszlo

EricLaszlo

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 07:54 AM

Randy, thanks for your response.

Do you know if there are always 8 links that appear (when sitelinks do appear)? In other words, if I block one of my 8 current sitelink URLs, will another one from my site be pulled in?

#4 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 12:44 PM

I've not tracked it close enough to give an answer to the question of whether there are always exactly 8 links in Site Links Eric. My sense though is it's either always 8 or at least in that neighborhood. I seem to remember always seeing two rows of 4 links each in that section anyway.

Good question! Has anybody else been paying enough attention to know if it's always 8, or if it's sometimes 6? I can say that I can't remember ever seeing two rows of 5 links (10 total, plus the main listing) so I'd guess 8 is the max. I just did a quick search on a brand name (Adobe) to see what shows up and it's 4 per row. If anything was going to go above that I would assume a known brand would, and it didn't. I'm just not sure if I've ever seen 6.

#5 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,003 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 03:29 PM

That is a good question. Not sure I want to mess with any of mind to find out, however!

#6 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,636 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 09:01 AM

FWIW, my company's website has a Site Links listing, but we only display four links, two each in two columns.

Also, I've heard that Google's been experimenting with single-row "mini site links" (4 links on a single row) that don't necessarily appear on the #1 ranked result, and sometimes show for multiple results within the same SERP.

Haven't really paid that much attention to the stories, unfortunately. Haven't noticed any of them in the results I've been looking at, either -- but then again, I haven't particularly been looking for them. It could be an experimental thing and I just haven't been selected to participate in the experiment...

--Torka mf_prop.gif

#7 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,003 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 11:20 AM

FWIW, my company's website has a Site Links listing, but we only display four links, two each in two columns.

Torka, is that because you excluded some pages? Or is that just what Google hath given you?

#8 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,636 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 12:02 PM

I excluded one link a long time ago (for a seasonal page), but put it back on the list to be reincluded probably a year ago. Figured it wasn't worth that kind of micro-managing, so I'd just let them link to it if they wanted to regardless of the season. FWIW, that link isn't one of the four links at the moment.

For at least the last year or so we haven't done anything to "manage" our Site Links; we just let the proverbial chips fall where they may. I know we've had more Site Links in the past, but never fewer than four as far as I know.

As some of you know, our website back end is a little wacky (to put it mildly). I think part of the "problem" for us is that so many of our internal site navigation links actually point to pages housed on other domains. It appears Google only displays Site Links that point to pages on the main domain (and any associated subdomains) but not to pages that are on completely different domains, even if they are clearly part of the same "site." (Something they've apparently never been able to quite sort out, at least in our case.)

On the other hand, for the same query, they list up to two pages from each of these other domains as though they were separate sites, so I guess I shouldn't complain too much. They may not be site links, but they're still there on the first page of the results. Sure, it's on brand-related queries, but we totally dominate the SERP.

Edited to add:
Just went and checked Webmaster Tools. The four links they're displaying are all the "eligible" links Google shows in WT. Three of them are from our main site navigation and one is from the footer.

--Torka mf_prop.gif

#9 EricLaszlo

EricLaszlo

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 12:40 PM

Torka, thanks for your detailed input.

The link that I'm trying to include as a sitelink is within my primary domain. (It's not even its own subdomain.)

Could I ask you to elaborate on "the list to be included"? In Webmaster Tools, it's clear how you can block I sitelink, but I don't see any way to include one.

Eric

#10 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,636 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 03:55 PM

All I meant by that was that when that link was listed in the eligible Site Links list on Google (which it is not anymore), I unblocked it so they could list it if they chose to. Apparently (since it isn't on the list any more) they've chosen not to. wink1.gif

There isn't any way I know of to actively include a link. The best you can do is not block the links they've selected as potentials. (Unless you really don't for some reason want one or more of those to show as Site Links, in which case, block away.)

--Torka mf_prop.gif

#11 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,003 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 08:09 AM

Do you know if there are always 8 links that appear (when sitelinks do appear)? In other words, if I block one of my 8 current sitelink URLs, will another one from my site be pulled in?

Someone in our SEO training class this week had tried this. They had blocked a couple of links from appearing, hoping that new ones would be pulled in, but they weren't. They simply had 2 less than before.

Hope this helps!

#12 EricLaszlo

EricLaszlo

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 11:38 AM

Folks, thanks for the additional feedback.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!