• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Any Seo Value To This?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 zzmac

zzmac

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 02:06 PM

Hi All,

Let's say I have a website selling widgets and it does business globally. And let's assume that people might search on Google for "widgets dublin" as one of many examples.

Now at the bottom of every page on the site, I have a spot for where a nice city picture will pop up randomly when you arrive at that page and above it there will be text stating the city and country name. I'm doing this primarily to put a nice finishing touch on some otherwise dreary looking pages (with lots of nice optimized text , of course). Let's say there'll be 100 different cities (pictures and text) from around the world.

Here's the question (I'm not a tech guy, I think I know the answer (no), but I'll ask anyways) When my web guy does his html thing and puts this site together for me, somewhere in the background will be a list of all these city names and countries. When Google's spider indexes this site it must be able to read all these city names although they only appear one at a time as a person visiting the site goes to a new page. Although they're not all visible at the same time is there any SEO value by just having this list of cities whereever they are in the background?

Also I just thought of another question...when Google spiders the site will these random photos and city names appear on each page to the spider and if so, is there any value to this? Does the spider view pages the way a human does or in a slightly different way? I'll stop there before this gets too complicated. :-)

Thanks.

#2 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 04:36 PM

The tactic is of little to no use. All you're going to do is confuse visitors and spiders alike.

And if you want to put a name on it, you're talking about good old Mad Lib Spam.

#3 zzmac

zzmac

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 06:08 PM

QUOTE(Randy @ Apr 3 2009, 05:36 PM) View Post
The tactic is of little to no use. All you're going to do is confuse visitors and spiders alike.

And if you want to put a name on it, you're talking about good old Mad Lib Spam.

Thanks for the reply Randy but me thinks you misinterpreted (or I didn't explain properly) what I'm doing. First of all, the sole purpose of the pictures is too make the pages look better to our visitors and to reinforce our image of being global.
These photos will rotate so that pages will always look fresh. So far, so good. There are no tactics and there is nothing going on to confuse anyone, they're just pictures of places around the world.

Above where the picture would go on any given page, I'll have a slogan such as "ABC Widgets is your global source for Thingamabobs" and in this area there will be a blank spot where the corresponding city name will appear to match the picture. Nothing sinister, just some cool picture, nice graphics and city text to describe the picture.

Now my web guy obviously has to have all the city names somewhere in the background (in an applet or something?) so that when a photo eandomly appears it can draw out and insert the correct corresponding text. So far, still should be good.

Now, my only question was, does all the text for the city names get indexed or not and if so is there any unintended SEO benefit? I hope that explains the plan better.

#4 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,622 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 10:58 PM

If the picture and text are being rotated and inserted into the page by a script, they're invisible to the search engines. If that's the case, no help.

If they're all on the page, but hidden, and a script randomly unhides one city name/picture pair, that's hidden text, which is spam. No help.

If some poor webmaster has the task of manually going into the page and changing two lines of code every couple of days, then it depends on when the spider crawls the page, at which time the one city that's up will be indexed. No help.

If you've got 100 pages that are all the same except for those two lines of code, that's madlib spam. No help.

If you're doing the first thing mentioned above, and it really isn't for any purpose but to pretty up the page, you're certainly not going to get into any trouble. As long as you don't expect any SEO benefit from it, I'm all for pretty pictures of world cities.

#5 zzmac

zzmac

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 04 April 2009 - 09:30 AM

Pretty pictures and invisible to Google it is. It's too bad they won't get to enjoy it. :-(

Does anyone know how to optimize a script? :-)

If there is zero (zilch, nada, donut hole, goose egg) SEO value to this, I might as well save my web guy a step and add the city names right on to the photos in a nicer font, correct? Unless there's a .001% SEO value to this.......

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!