• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Session Id's And Incoming Links

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Orpheus Descending

Orpheus Descending

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 11:27 AM

Randy can you hear meeee...? (ala Yentle) serenade.gif

I have a client who has an archane web server (I mean middle ages) that creates all of their web pages with session ID's. They have been able to create some static URL's that redirect to the session ID's which is a work around for some other issues. I am trying to create an internal link structure for them and am concerned that incoming links might be useless. I have been told that links going from these pages will be useless (which is fine), but will incoming links bring the SEO link juice? If incoming links won't do any good if they link directly to the session ID pages, would linking to the static URL's that redirect do any good? Also, does optimising title tags, meta descriptions and alt tags on session pages make any difference? I haven't had the pleasure of working with session ID's before and am a bit in the dark with this.

#2 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 04:14 PM

Is there a reason they need the Session IDs OD? If not, I'd try to get rid of them.

If you're talking a php site on typical Linux/Apache that's producing PHP Sessions you should be able to set this in the .htaccess with:

CODE
php_value session.use_trans_sid 0
php_value sessinon.use_only_cookies 1

The above doesn't really get rid of sessions, it just forces them into a cookie. And is only for php produced sessions.

If it comes down to sessions being needed you're left with two options. You can either detect the spiders (in the .htaccess or at the script level) and supply a 301 redirect when a spider hits a page with the session id query, or for Google at least you should be able to use their new Canonical meta instruction. The last one is so new I've not had a chance to test it to see if it actually works. But that's what they put it out there for.

If you want to PM over the url I'll take a look and see if anything jumps out at me. It usually helps to see exactly what's happening.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!