• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Should I Use 301 Or 302 To Redirect

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 franco81

franco81

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 05:54 AM

Hi, I'm just wondering if it is still a good practise to use a 302 temporary redirect when changing domain name, or whether I should just go straight to the 301.

the content on my original domain is fairly well established and I am currently doing a 302 redirect for each page to its most appropriate counterpart on the new domain. this has been in place only about 1 week, should I just switch over to the 301 already or should I wait for the new domain to pass through the ageing delay and then switch to 301?

any tips on what I could measure/keep an eye on that will indicate the new domain has passed the ageing delay process?

thanks

#2 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 06:37 AM

I haven't performed a site move or site merge over the last several months, but my sense is that the aging delay isn't nearly what it once was. It's almost like Google reverted back to the old way of doing things, where new sites get a break on the linking component early on, as opposed to having an extra roadblock thrown in their way.

I've not seen nearly enough data across a broad spectrum of sites that have moved to pronounce the aging delay dead or a non-factor when moving a site to a new domain, but the last coule of times I had the specific situation you're faced with the new domain started replacing the old domain in the SERPs pretty much straight away.

#3 franco81

franco81

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 06:41 AM

thanks for the tips. I think I'll switch it up to 301 and see what happens!

#4 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,004 posts

Posted 04 April 2009 - 08:10 AM

I think it's basically dead. I would use a 301.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!