• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo

Keywords Containing X Excluding Y In Goan

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 rolf

rolf

HR 6

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 12:24 PM

I want to view keywords containing X but excluding Y - there seems to be a way to do either of these individually but not both at the same time.

Am I missing something or is this not possible with GoAn? Is there a workaround?

#2 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 12:56 PM

Advanced Segments are your friend. wink1.gif

When you're logged in scroll down and look for Advanced Segments in the Settings area along the left hand side of the page. It's still in beta so hopefully it's been enabled in your account.

Then...
  • Click on the + Create new custom segment link in the upper right corner.
  • In the Dimensions box click on Traffic Sources to expand the menu. Click and drag Keyword to the top little box with a green dashed outline.
  • Make Condition equal to Contains and put the value of the keyword you want to show up in the Value box. It's usually best to leave the Case sensitive box unchecked.
  • Click on the Add "and" statement link.
  • Click and drag Keyword over to the new green dashed box the above action created.
  • This time make the Condition Does not contain and the value of the word or words you want to exclude. Assuming it's just one word. If you need something more sophisticated you can use the Does not match regular expression.
  • Give your new custom segment a name, like Require "Keyword1" Exclude "Keyword2" to make it easy to figure out what it is. Save it.
Now when go back into Analytics Settings > View Report you can apply your new custom segment anywhere your heart desires. With any report up on your screen choose the Advanced Segments button in the upper right corner. You should see All Visits already checked in the left hand box. You can change this if you want to, say for instance if you only wanted to look at New Visitors or even Search Traffic. In the right hand Custom Segments box put a check in your segment/filter you just created. It'll now show you data for each of those choices.

#3 rolf

rolf

HR 6

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 05:09 AM

brilliant! Thanks Randy.

Very useful feature. I've seen the buttons and been meaning to check it out but there's still so much for me to lean in GoAn I just hadn't got round to trying that one yet.

Cheers ale.gif

#4 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 06:25 AM

Yeah, plus I think Advanced Segments suffers a good deal from bad branding. Few understand what Segmenting means, and slapping the word Advanced on anything scares many people off needlessly. That's one big G missed on when they named it.

To me AS simply more like Filters on Steroids, or since you see several versions of data at once Comparative Filters. The really nice part being that you can apply your Segmenting Filters on any and all data, without having to have them in place before the data comes in like you do with normal user defined filters.

Anyway, yes they're quite powerful and quite useful. It just takes a couple of tries to get used to 'em. But it's not like you can screw up your account or anything by playing with 'em since you can either apply them to the data or not at any time.

#5 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,138 posts

Posted 04 April 2009 - 08:18 AM

The best part about the advanced segments is once you create them you can use them across all your sites in your account.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!