• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Don't Use Querystring ?id=

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
25 replies to this topic

#16 Haystack

Haystack

HR 7

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 15 August 2003 - 11:03 PM

Chill105, I hear your site is new which might be a factor in this, but just so you know, if you're serving URL's withi multiple variables after the ? you may have issues with search engines:
www.beansbeauty.com/hairtools/?d=2&c=9&b=107

#17 SrikanthOnLine

SrikanthOnLine

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 August 2003 - 11:13 AM

I have one link on my web site as below

www.domainname.com/pagename.asp?topic=11111

And the asp script also handles the ELSE situation. So, even if you access using www.domainname.com/pagename.asp, page will be displayed.

But big brother (Google Spider) has not crawled it. :(

#18 jmhonline

jmhonline

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 14 March 2004 - 09:47 PM

Hi Phil
What shopping cart do you use? Mine unfortunately is MIVA which prevents a lot of products from getting spidered. :)

FYI, Google has indexed product and category urls without the store code variable from Miva Merchant for over a year. We announced last July (month of your post) that Google now indexing miva merchant category and product urls with the store code variable or more than one ampersand to be exact. So it isn't that Google won't index your product pages. You may have not provided a way for Google to get them. HTH

Jason ;)

Edited by Jill, 14 March 2004 - 10:52 PM.

#19 1seo

1seo

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 15 March 2004 - 06:16 PM

What about a URL such as :
www.cpanelfaq.org/index.php?aktion=artikel&rubrik=003&id=2&lang=en

Are these better or worse than the Miva URLs that are being indexed? My index page was spidered within 2 days of being live (with no help), however the spider didn't go farther than the first page, although it probably tried too.

Since than I've added a SiteMap linked on the main page and a lot of mod_rewrite usage to be able to link to static pages instead of dynamic.

Will this help? or did I waste my time?

Edited by Jill, 15 March 2004 - 08:55 PM.

#20 jmhonline

jmhonline

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 15 March 2004 - 06:58 PM

Will this help? or did I waste my time?

Don't know for sure, but miva urls are being indexed by Google. Logically, those urls should be indexed as well, but you would have to check in Google for similar urls. Miva Merchant and search engines is in a league of its own. Sometimes things work for it that don't for others. Sometimes things don't work that do work for others. :yuk:

#21 1seo

1seo

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 15 March 2004 - 08:51 PM

Only thing we can do is wait and see I guess.. :lol:

#22 Such Great Heights

Such Great Heights

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 16 March 2004 - 07:56 PM

On this same train of thought, I had a question.

A new client of mine recently migrated their web site to a database driven site and their URLs look like; domain.com/product/?pid=45

I told them how the older URLs (domain.com/product/productname) are more SE friendly. ... so they started using URLs like; domain.com/product/?model=product-name

Now some of their links are ?model=p-name and some are ?pid=45 but both go to the same page.

Having both these URL formats I am afraid that Google might think they have duplicate content pages because of two different URLs to the same page.

So does Google pay much attention to after the question mark?
If so, do you guys/gals think they will be penalized?
Also do you think this will place less importance on the page 2 different URLs point to? Will Google think those are two different pages? and say if Google wanted to give that page a PR of 8 will it give both pages a PR of 4 because both URLs are used to link to that particular page? :naughty:

Hope this makes sense.
Thanks for your advice.

#23 Tyssen

Tyssen

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 20 April 2004 - 01:12 AM

so I changed my pages to use NUM= rather than ID= & that lead to Googlebot indexing all my product pages in 24 hours & in the index in under 48 hours !

I've been reading this forum a little bit in the last few days and something that perplexes me is when people talk about their pages being indexed - what does that mean exactly? I know it means it'll show up in a search on Google but what are you entering in your search and where does your site appear in the list?

The reason I ask is that on my site (which, incidentally, has URLs like .asp?pID=) if I do a search on the title of one of our books (as long as it has a fairly unique title eg: Public Speaking with Confidence as opposed to just public speaking), I'll get a result on the first page or two of Google.

Is this what people mean, or is the aim to enter a single keyword and have your site appear on the 1st page. Just after some more specific criteria in this area to give me an idea of how my site's going SEO-wise.

#24 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 20 April 2004 - 07:59 AM

Hi and welcome Tyssen !

There are two distinct issues you're referring to. Indexing and Ranking.

First Indexing... To have your page Indexed simply means that the search engine knows the page exists and has sent out a spider to grab the data it needs in order to decide a ranking position.

In Google you can tell which pages pages of your site have been indexed by using one of their advanced search commands. The one I typically use is: www.domain.com site:www.domain.com, replacing "domain.com" with your actual domain name.

Ranking is another animal, though a page does have to be in the index in order to be ranked. Your ranking for a specific keyword phrase search is determined by all of the various factors involved in search engine optimization. The words you your page, the page title, the link popularity or PageRank of the site and lots of other stuff.

The reason we talk about dynamic sites being "indexed" is that sometimes they can provide a special challenge. Many shopping cart and content management systems use things like Session ID's or Cookies, which search engine spiders simply don't do. There can also be an issue of how many modifiers are contained in the URL address for a given page. The more modifiers there are, the harder it can be to get the page indexed.

There are ways to get dynamic web sites indexed. And ranked. However you do have to be a little bit careful in a couple of areas to make sure you're not putting up any roadblocks to the spiders.

#25 Tyssen

Tyssen

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 20 April 2004 - 04:52 PM

The one I typically use is: www.domain.com site:www.domain.com, replacing "domain.com" with your actual domain name.

Thanks very much for that tip - that's very useful and also very interesting. It would seem that our site is being indexed by Google fairly well (1 page I put up yesterday has already been indexed which amazes me).

Any idea, though, how the pages are ranked on this search? For instance, the first three results on our site are for the index page, a dynamic page linking to our latest product and a PDF.

#26 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 20 April 2004 - 07:58 PM

Sorry, I have no clue on how Google has chosen to order those results Tyssen. I've never looked at it honestly.

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!