• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Competition Reports

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
52 replies to this topic

#1 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,961 posts

Posted 23 July 2003 - 04:11 PM

I see that Robert Clough just ran an article from one of my past newsletters, called Tips on Using Wordtracker to Find the Best Keyword Phrases.

In the article, I lamented the fact that the WordTracker Competition reports really aren't a good indicator of whether you should optimize for a given phrase.

I've argued this point with others in the past, and was wondering if anyone had some new insight into it? Any ideas on a simple way to truly judge the competition of your keyword phrases in any given engine?

Jill

#2 DanThies

DanThies

Keyword Super Freak

• 865 posts

Posted 23 July 2003 - 05:40 PM

What is this, bait?

I've got an idea or two...

http://www.searchnew...ithAdwords.html

#3 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,961 posts

Posted 23 July 2003 - 05:43 PM

What is this, bait?

:rolleyes: sucker!

Thanks, Dan. That was so good, perhaps, I'll make you moderator of this forum. That work for you?

(Actually, I didn't read the article you pointed us to...want to summarize?)

Jill

#4 DanThies

DanThies

Keyword Super Freak

• 865 posts

Posted 23 July 2003 - 09:16 PM

What is this, bait?

Thanks, Dan. That was so good, perhaps, I'll make you moderator of this forum. That work for you?

Okay, but you gotta read the article or no deal. :rolleyes:

#5 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,961 posts

Posted 23 July 2003 - 10:10 PM

Good article, Dan.

For anyone wondering, the article is one written by Dan in which he explains how you can (and should) use a Google AdWords campaign to help with your keyword research.

At least when you use Google, you are getting actual numbers for Google. That's my beef with WordTracker (which I otherwise love). It's not Google. But Google IS Google, and it's great that we can now get access to some of their search terms through the AdWords program.

And welcome to Moderatorship, Dan! :learn:

Jill

#6 HorseCove

HorseCove

Horses are good for the soul.

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 24 July 2003 - 11:16 PM

Hey Dan,

That was a killer article! There's real meat in it!

Great Job!

#7 DanThies

DanThies

Keyword Super Freak

• 865 posts

Posted 24 July 2003 - 11:39 PM

Thanks for that! It took months to get to a point where I felt like it was worth publishing something.

Hey, Jill, is there any way to get an automagic email when there's a new post in this area, at least for a while?

#8 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,961 posts

Posted 25 July 2003 - 12:17 AM

Dan, click on subscribe to this forum. Also, I think there's a setting in the control panel. And we're working on the fix so that emails will be the default, as we type!

Jill

#9 Scottie

Scottie

Psycho Mom

• Admin
  • 6,294 posts

Posted 25 July 2003 - 12:35 AM

Hey Dan- go into My Controls and turn that subscription thing on, if you don't mind!

I've got it set to do that for new users but it may not have taken for existing users...

#10 schecky

schecky

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 25 July 2003 - 12:46 PM

I've argued this point with others in the past, and was wondering if anyone had some new insight into it? Any ideas on a simple way to truly judge the competition of your keyword phrases in any given engine?

Some provide that access through their advertising campaign management software. They are the only true indicators if you ask me.

I think tools are fine for data however nothing beats asking users directly afterall they are the ones doing the entering and clicking. Wordtracker I've never used personally however I believe there is reason to view some data with skepticism because of the sources for the data. Data is one thing adding the human element to that data helps make more sense of it.

There are services emerging that are providing that human touch. More expensive but "you usually get what you pay for" for any given service.

#11 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,961 posts

Posted 25 July 2003 - 12:50 PM

Welcome, Schecky! :bye:

You make some good points.

Certainly, the data from WordTracker is not perfect. I generally recommend using a variety of sources for your keyword research, for best results. A google ad campaign, as Dan suggests, can be golden!

Jill

#12 DanThies

DanThies

Keyword Super Freak

• 865 posts

Posted 25 July 2003 - 11:44 PM

I like to use a combination of tools to come up with the initial list of candidate search terms. I use "Good Keywords" to get data from Overture, Teoma, and Lycos. I use Altavista to get additional suggestions. Wordtracker adds more suggestions and helps identify the top candidates. Starting with 150-200 good candidates, making sure we've covered all bases, is the goal. If we're still "go," we'll use Adwords to let Google's users tell us what search terms are likely to get the clicks and sales for the site in question.

I was just pointed to another nice article, by Jim Banks, on using Adwords in a similar way. He likes to use Adwords to test different titles and descriptions:
http://www.searcheng...chengines2.html

This is the same method used by direct marketers to test the different elements of an ad in combination. I've also used Adwords to test headlines, copy, and offers (mainly the offer) for other advertising. It gives you a good sample size in a hurry, and you can test as many "creatives" as you like. The fact that you can easily turn a profit during the testing is a big help too. There aren't too many ways that you can test the response to a headline or offer so cheaply.

#13 Herbert

Herbert

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 30 July 2003 - 05:15 PM

Hi,
I have a "SEO-beginners" question to you all:
what should I use to get good keywords for my site? I mean, what tools should I check (I need the german keyword market please;). Are there any tools which I could test, escpecially with google as a SE? I use now Overture program and starting with Espotting....I dont use Adwords up 2 now...
So, please let me have ´a lot of tools´ to get the internet search terms from a database.

#14 Scottie

Scottie

Psycho Mom

• Admin
  • 6,294 posts

Posted 30 July 2003 - 06:35 PM

Hi Herbert! :D

Welcome to the forum!

I just posted a page of Keyword Research Tools you might want to look at.

#15 Herbert

Herbert

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 30 July 2003 - 06:55 PM

thx scottiecl for that tip....I will follow that links and test them.
BTW: I think that forum here is a new one? cause all the dates of joining....:D

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!