• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Best Way To Redirect Multiple Domains To Single Domain

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Tom Elliott

Tom Elliott

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 06:03 AM

Hi There,

Apologies if this question has already been raised before, I have not been able to find anything so far to help my specific problem.

Basically, a client of ours has 15 domains - www.domain1.com, www.domain1.co.uk www.domain2.com etc etc (which they acquired for company name protection and possible future ventures) and I need to redirect them all to a single domain www.maindomain.com, hosted with a seperate company. I have a windows VPS that hosts the main domain with Plesk 9 and access to DNS management of each domain.

My question is, which of the following would be best in terms of good SEO and ensuring we won't get any form of penalisation in search engines:

1. For each domain, change the A record to the IP address of the VPS server and setup 15 domain aliases on the main domain within VPS control panel (Plesk) - does this count as a 301 redirect?
2. Setup www.domain1.com on the server, use either web forwarding (302 redirect) or CNAME pointing for each domain to www.domain1.com and then use IIS to 301 redirect www.domain1.com to www.maindomain.com
3. Setup www.domain1.com on the server with 14 domain aliases and point the 15 domains by changing the A records to the IP address of the server and then use IIS to 301 redirect www.domain1.com to www.maindomain.com
4. Setup 15 domains on the server, point each domain to them by changing the A records and and 301 redirect them all with IIS to www.maindomain.com.
5. Non of the above, you are talking rubbish! [insert best technique]

Many thanks for you help,

Tom

#2 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,622 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 12:19 PM

I try to avoid IIS when I can and don't know Plesk at all, so I can't tell you which is best from a technical standpoint in terms of ease of setup on the server... but as long as you make sure each "spare" domain is redirected with a 301 permanent redirect (in whatever fashion you decide makes the most sense for you and your set up), you should be fine. Use some kind of header checker to make sure each one is returning a true 301 on redirect.

The search engines won't penalize you for redirecting other domains to your main one, so do it however it makes the best sense for you from a technical/business standpoint.

Unless these other domains have valuable links pointing to them (the value of which would eventually be passed through to the main domain with a 301 redirect, and therefore could have an SEO effect), the SEO impact of redirecting will almost certainly be negligible.

--Torka mf_prop.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!