• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Why Did My Pr Suddenly Drop?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 harrogate

harrogate

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 10:38 PM

Not sure why but suddenly my PR fell from 3 to 2 in the last week. I haven't done anything SEO wise in the last month. Any ideas why ths would have happened and what the Google ranking impact will be? Thanks!

#2 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,580 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 12:02 PM

Your toolbar PR may have dropped because Google pushed through one of their once-every-three-or-four-months updates, where they update the toolbar to display an approximation of what your "real" PR might have been at some indeterminate point in the past.

Or it may simply be a glitch in the toolbar, and all will be back to "normal" in a few days. dntknw.gif

If it's because of an update, the drop would either mean that sometime over the last three or four months you lost some links that used to point to that page, or you reorganized your site's internal navigation so it doesn't send as much juice to that page, or some of the links that point to that page (whether internal to your site or external) lost value for some reason. Or maybe something else, but probably one of those three things. Assuming the change in the toolbar is a real change and not just a glitch.

Since the toolbar PR number is not used in any way in calculating your rankings, this change cannot possibly have any effect. On much of anything, really.

Any effect that might or might not have arisen from whatever it was that might or might not have caused your real PR to drop at some point over the past three or four months have already long since taken effect.

--Torka mf_prop.gif

#3 bwelford

bwelford

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 12:03 PM

There was a Google Toolbar PageRank revision yesterday evening so many websites may have seen changes. I only saw upward movements on my online properties so I'm pretty happy.

Nevertheless it really does not signify anything important since what really counts is the Google internal PageRank measure which is continually updated. I have one blog that lost its PageRank for a time due to server problems. It moved to PR 0 in the previous TBPR upgrade and is still at PR 0 after this one. However I can see over the past two months significant increases in Google search traffic that confirms that things are going in the right direction.

Why Google does not forget about this indicator, I don't know. It causes needless anxiety and is of no practical use except to those who wish to sell links from higher PR pages.

#4 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,580 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 12:30 PM

QUOTE(bwelford @ Apr 2 2009, 01:03 PM) View Post
Why Google does not forget about this indicator, I don't know.

Because it's a nice, shiny thing to distract the unwary from paying attention to stuff that really matters... smile.gif

--Torka mf_prop.gif

#5 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 01:02 PM

Can you imagine the uproar if they did away with it now? People would be screaming for the first born child of every single Google employee!

Just one of those really bad ideas that hung on far too long. Sort of like the concept bailing out companies because they're too big to fail. lol.gif

#6 harrogate

harrogate

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 06:40 PM

Thank you for the replies. I'm relieved to hear the toolbar PR doesn't affect the site's ranking. However, if I understand what you're saying the actual PR does affect it. So where/how do I get a reading of the actual PR?

#7 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 06:44 PM

So where/how do I get a reading of the actual PR?

You don't.

Google does not release the real PR info. It's far too sensitive to being reverse engineered.

#8 ScottSalwolke

ScottSalwolke

Scott Salwolke

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 10:54 PM

One thing that struck me as unusual about the PageRank update is that my home page went up, but the interior pages that had PR dropped completely.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!