• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Redirect From A .ca To A Us Site

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Marchy

Marchy

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 03:26 PM

I am wondering this: I got pages from every states from a .ca site. I noticed that it very hard to rank in the state with a .ca. Now I got a site .com that is attributed to the U.S. I was wondering if I redirect my state pages (from the.ca site) to the state pages of the U.S site if it would be beneficial because it comes from a .ca. I do not want to do this and end up that it was a bad idea. Or should I redirect all my pages to my index page on my .ca site?

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 03:41 PM

If you redirect them, then the search engines wouldn't have any idea where they came from. The only thing that would count would be where the resulting pages that get indexed and seen by people are located.

#3 Marchy

Marchy

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 05:41 PM

QUOTE(Jill @ Apr 1 2009, 04:41 PM) View Post
If you redirect them, then the search engines wouldn't have any idea where they came from. The only thing that would count would be where the resulting pages that get indexed and seen by people are located.

The only thing I am wondering is this. The search engine goes to to my htaccess file sees the redirect and goes to the other page. They would not know that it was .ca site? I am not sure if I have a full understanding of what exactly a redirect does beside "redirecting" a page.

Now let me explain my problem.

The purpose of the redirection was this. We have about 300 pages of good U.S content on the .ca. We had a hard time to rank them as it is a .ca so the Geo targeting for those pages was Canada. So we bought a .org domain to become the US branch of our company. Logically you take these US pages and put the content on the other site and redirect them. Now because it is a .ca, we do not want the SE to consider these pages as "Canadian". We will end up with the same problem. We would like to use the content and get the juice from it.

So is a redirection would be the best option?

#4 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 08:28 AM

The search engine goes to to my htaccess file sees the redirect and goes to the other page.

The search engines don't go to your .htaccess file.

#5 Marchy

Marchy

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 07:55 AM

QUOTE(Jill @ Apr 16 2009, 09:28 AM) View Post
The search engines don't go to your .htaccess file.

I was wondering if redirecting specific pages from the .ca website to specific page to another site would look unusual. Usually you will redirect pages from a same website or a whole site to another.

#6 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 08:00 AM

I was wondering if redirecting specific pages from the .ca website to specific page to another site would look unusual. Usually you will redirect pages from a same website or a whole site to another.

Newp.

As with most things where the search engines are concerned, they look at it on a page-by-page basis.

#7 Marchy

Marchy

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 11:37 AM

This is why the search engine does not even see the old page so it cannot apply the geo-location of the old page to the page it redirect to? It just give the links and authority of the old page to the new one. Sorry if it takes so long to understand this. embarrassed.gif

#8 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 01:11 PM

With geolocation the final destination counts heavily. So redirecting a .com to a .ca would count as a Canadian site and .ca to .com would count as Worldwide. (Sure, most think of that as being US and to some extent that's true, but .com is really worldwide and not geolocated.)

Pages from a .ca site that are redirected to a .com will be viewed as worldwide. So you'll be competing with every site in the world, all other things being equal. Just don't expect your .ca rankings to pop into the same position for .com searches because it's highly likely the .com space is more competitive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We are now a read-only forum.

No new posts or registrations allowed.