• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Is This Redirect Setup Properly?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 penstaar

penstaar

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 03:16 PM

Hi all,

I had the developer I am working with setup the following 301 redirect:

From the old URL - www.mysite.com/dir/pagename.asp?cid=1234 to the new URL - www.mysite.com/dir/pagename.asp

I checked what the http request returns and see HTTP/1.1·301·Moved·Permanently(CR)(LF) so that looks right

HOWEVER, when I opened the page www.mysite.com/dir/pagename.asp?cid=1234 in my browser to check to see if it was actually redirecting to the new page, it didn't change... the URL stays as www.mysite.com/dir/pagename.asp?cid=1234

I have never worked with 301 redirects before, so I'm wondering if this is the appropriate behaviour?

Thanks!

#2 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 04:27 PM

Something doesn't sound right for sure.

Does the 301 show what URL address the visit is being sent to? It should, and it should be the url version without the query string, from your example.

It almost sounds as if the query string isn't being stripped off, so the page is redirecting back onto itself at the same exact url, with the query string intact. So the server is reporting a 301, but the 301 is pointing back to the same page and causing an endless loop.

What type of server are you on (IIS or Linux/Unix) and how did your developer accomplish the redirect? (scripted or at the server level) Those answers may help us sort out what's happening.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We are now a read-only forum.

No new posts or registrations allowed.