• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo

Dropped From Uk Search Since Hosting Moved

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#16 Nueromancer

Nueromancer

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 04:28 AM

QUOTE(1dmf @ Apr 29 2009, 10:52 AM) View Post
well getting links from them would be nice, but I don't think that's likely.

Also why would IBLs from a specific ccTLD make your site become geo-targeted to the country giving you the links.

Are you saying if i got a bunch of IBL's from Japanese websites i'd show up in the 'Japan Only' searches for G!.co.jp

That's ridiculous if true, what's the point in showing me sites/companies that are not based in the country I specifically say I only want to see?

Doesn't make any sense to me.

If you had a generic domain yes google will say oh they have links from the BBC / Guardian = Uk links from CBS NBC NYT = USA

That is my understanding

Btw some things G does dont make sense getting involved with tha MSN/Yahoo Search deal for example

#17 1dmf

1dmf

Keep Asking, Keep Questioning, Keep Learning

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,161 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 04:49 AM

Btw some things G does dont make sense
You're not wrong.

When I select UK Only, I expect to only be offered companies who service the UK from the UK and giving me anything other than that, means the option doesn't work, period!

But I guess the problem with this lies in differentiating between 'business' search and 'general' search.

If i'm looking for information , downloads or anything which doesn't matter where the company/website resides, as long as the site is in english or I can translate it to english it doesn't matter.

However, if i'm looking for a specific product or service etc and select UK, I want UK Only based companies and nothing else.

Perhaps they should introduce a 'company/business' option within the standard search.

#18 Rajesh

Rajesh

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 06:28 AM

Like if we target Uk visitors and have domain like www.abc.co.uk it will be help you to listed in google.co.uk

#19 1dmf

1dmf

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,161 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 09:10 AM

I know, but my domain is .org , I have a .co.uk and i've redirected it to the .org but I can only 302 with cpanel by the looks of things.

I guess i'll just put the site as an add on domain then ust .htaccess to mod rewrite a 301.

Is that going to do anything though?

Do i create a doorway page with the index.html being a map to the .org urls? doesn't sound right, 'doorway' not good.

if you 301 redirect a co.uk TLD to another, does it turn the geo-location of the target TLD (.org) to the 301 TLD (.co.uk)?

#20 Rajesh

Rajesh

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 12:55 AM

QUOTE(1dmf @ Apr 30 2009, 07:40 PM) View Post
I know, but my domain is .org , I have a .co.uk and i've redirected it to the .org but I can only 302 with cpanel by the looks of things.

You want get the business from UK no need to make redirect to org keep as it is co.uk . By the way use always 301 if you wish for permanent redirection it will give you wattage for your domain by search engine.

#21 mcanerin

mcanerin

HR 7

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 11:58 AM

Hi 1dmf!

Here are your options, in order of preference:

1. (easiest and I suggest you start here). You are hosted in the US with a .org. That means that you are geolocated to the US only by means of IP, since .org is a gTLD. It's easy to fix this for Google. Get your site registered with Googles webmaster tools. Within the tools, there is a section called "Settings" and under that, "Geographic Location". Change your site to UK from there. (see attachment screenshot). Negative issue: Only affects Google.

2. Use the parking method I developed that Randy mentioned earlier in the thread.

3. Use a reverse proxy to assign a UK IP to your site. I have a patent pending on a variation of this, but the basics are freely available for anyone.

4. The other stuff, like changing hosts, getting a new ccTLD, etc. I'm assuming you don't want to do this so I'm putting it last.

I hope that helps,

Ian

#22 1dmf

1dmf

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,161 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 12:10 PM

Thanks Ian,

I am going to try your 'Parking' trick over the weekend, i'm still a bit confused over the finer details, but Randy has been the nice guy that he is and given me a PM with more details, So I got enough to crack on with.

Funny he was very insistent that it was your parking idea and not his, hopefuly not trying to avoid any flack, but more giving credit where credit is due. mf_zap.gif

The hosting server location and TLD to decide GEO-Location of a compnay is well complete and utter rubbish IMHO, as I've tried to explain on WPW (wow they can bitch over there!), I drive an itallian car, but i'm not itallian and I didn't buy it in italy!

They have even suggested buying your domain from a UK country specific registrar (which it was anyway) or getting IBL's from UK, all of which is just BS if true. If this is how the SE's decide on GEO-Location, I think this is one area of the Web that needs a serious re-think.

I'm UK , because I'm UK, I was born in England, I'm English, I reside in England. I am an English man who lives in England , thus making me be an MBE (Member of the British Empire) and hold a passport for the United Kingdom of Britain....

HOWEVER..

It seems if someone from outer mongolia buys a .co.uk domain and hosts it using a UK web host company, they are going to be considered more British than me, yeah go figure, what is that!

There's gotta be a better way surely!

#23 Andy_Seo

Andy_Seo

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 12:12 PM

1dmf - How did you get on with the parking method? I'm not that impressed with the Geo targetting through GWT - doesn't seem to make much of difference if you ask me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!