• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Submitting to 1000 Directories in One Day

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
30 replies to this topic

#1 aalame

aalame

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 05:40 PM

should i be concerned if i submit my site manually to 1000 directories in 1 week ?
how many directories can i add at one time without being penalized ?

is there a clear or agreed upon number of links to add so that it's more natural.
i am submitting my site to directories for inclusion and of course the categories will be the ones most relevant to my site but i am afraid if i submit to too many at one time like 1000 directories in 1 week i will get penalized.

please help wacko.gif

#2 ScottSalwolke

ScottSalwolke

Scott Salwolke

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 06:02 PM

Most of these 1,000 directories probably won't help you, but they won't hurt either. And just because you submitted them all at once, doesn't mean they'll appear all at once. Some will take a few days, some months. You probably spent a lot of time to do this. You'd have been better off to use some of that time to add content to your site.

#3 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,011 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 06:30 PM

how many directories can i add at one time without being penalized ?

I would be surprised if the search engines penalized for how many submissions you made to directories at one time. How would they even know?

They're really not just out there penalizing sites for the heck of it. Really!

#4 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 07:00 PM

The real question is why you're spending the time to find and submit to 1,000 directories in the first place.

You do realize it's not going to do much if anything to help your rankings, right? And you do realize that if you reciprocate and link back chances are pretty decent that you're going to end up linking to at least one bad neighborhood, right?

#5 SERPico

SERPico

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 05:11 AM

It would help if you want to hide some of the juicy links you might have from your competitors using Yahoo Site Explorer by filling it up with these directory links. smile.gif Since it only shows you a thousand backlinks for a domain.

#6 BenjR

BenjR

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 09:29 AM

Some of the speakers at Search Engine Strategies in NY last week talked about the value of web directories like Best of the Web, DMOZ, etc. The general consensus appears to be that a submission strategy is most effective as follows:

1. Submit links to your site's home page on the top ~25 general-purpose directories.
2. Submit deep links to content pages in 50 to 100 niche directories.

Does this make sense? I'm trying to get my site, a comparison shopping engine, ranked for as many terms as possible. I have literally millions of products and millions of pages on my site.

Thanks,

Ben

#7 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,011 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 11:32 AM

It probably won't hurt. Whether it helps or not is hard to say. Come back after you've tried it and fill us in the results, please!

#8 wendell

wendell

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 02 May 2009 - 07:30 AM

QUOTE(Benjr @ Mar 31 2009, 10:29AM) View Post
Some of the speakers at Search Engine Strategies in NY last week talked about the value of web directories like Best of the Web, DMOZ, etc. The general consensus appears to be that a submission strategy is most effective as follows:

1. Submit links to your site's home page on the top ~25 general-purpose directories.
2. Submit deep links to content pages in 50 to 100 niche directories.

Does this make sense? I'm trying to get my site, a comparison shopping engine, ranked for as many terms as possible. I have literally millions of products and millions of pages on my site.

Thanks,

Ben

I'm implementing this strategy for a client right now:

- We submitted to 500 directories
- We then submitted five articles to 40 article submission sites each
- We're now starting to deep link using niche directories

I didn't expect much from the directory submission but for some reason, the client's traffic has spiked after the first two steps we completed. Quite a few of the articles were picked up so I think that has more to do with it than anything. After we initially submitted to directories, there were literally no changes. The articles being picked up made the difference in my opinion. Hopefully the deep linking directories will help a little. I'm not expecting much more than that.

This is my opinion but I don't think the directory submission will work well if you're competing against sites that depend on quality of content; especially if their content has been syndicated. I think the only reason why my client has experienced an extra 1400 visitors a week for the search term they were targeting is because we're competing against websites that simply bought a directory submission package. That was the extent of their link building efforts.

Edited by wendell, 02 May 2009 - 07:38 AM.

#9 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,011 posts

Posted 02 May 2009 - 08:15 AM

Typically you don't want all those crappy directories to be your only links. If they are, it is likely to be worse for you rather than better.

#10 danstelter

danstelter

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 02:27 PM

QUOTE(Copywriter39 @ Mar 29 2009, 06:02 PM) View Post
Most of these 1,000 directories probably won't help you, but they won't hurt either. And just because you submitted them all at once, doesn't mean they'll appear all at once. Some will take a few days, some months. You probably spent a lot of time to do this. You'd have been better off to use some of that time to add content to your site.

[url=http://www.highrankings.com/forum/index.php?showforum=21]Submitting to Directories[/url] is hit and miss. Many won't add you for months if you use free linking. If you pay, it is highly unlikely you will get enough traffic to break even on the cost; directories, in my experience, were a waste of time. Producing quality content and doing forum posting seemed to be the best method for traffic/link building for me.

#11 jrseo

jrseo

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 June 2009 - 11:48 PM

hi
[url=http://www.highrankings.com/forum/index.php?showforum=21]Submitting to Directories[/url] will help you but never hurts .
by submitting to 1000 directories means its waste of time

#12 cbp

cbp

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 01:14 AM

QUOTE(jrseo @ Jun 8 2009, 12:48 AM) View Post

It can hurt - The time you wasted submitting to the 1000 directories could have been spent on doing something that did actually help

#13 Anto1982

Anto1982

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 09:27 AM

I agree... Better to spend time developping your content than submitting your links to directories.

If you develop your content, you will get links without having to submit your site to directories...

You can submit it to 10 well-known directories or niche directories (try to find the one that "real humans" are using to browse the web...), it will be sufficient.

#14 andrew0081

andrew0081

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 July 2009 - 09:36 PM

Hi,
So how can i do ? i still need to submit web directory ?
Thank you

#15 star1

star1

HR 3

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 03:34 PM

If you spent that time sourcing and gaining 5 high quality links that are in line with your website theme that would probably be less timeconsuming and certainly be more beneficial!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!