• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo

How To Tell If You Have Been Visited By A Bot?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 lister

lister

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 05:39 PM

Hi I am using Google Analytics (GA). Am I being very dumb here - how do I tell if a bot - or more specifically if a google bot has decided to pay me a visit. I am sure it has since it has generated a little javascript for me to use -

Thanks!

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,963 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 06:33 PM

I don't believe Google analytics provides you with the bot info.

#3 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,622 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 09:32 PM

IIRC, Google's Webmaster Tools will tell you the last time Googlebot visited your site. (Not GoAn, though, because AFAIK bots generally don't execute JavaScript.)

--Torka mf_prop.gif

#4 1dmf

1dmf

Keep Asking, Keep Questioning, Keep Learning

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 05:39 AM

GOAN will tell you if the GoogleBot has visited.

I have been puzzling this with my thread and some stats which show as 0x0 screen resolution, this could be a bot, Randy and I cannot say for sure though.

Check your screen resolution / browser stats and see if you find the same.

#5 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 06:19 AM

Remember though 1dmf, there are some Googlebots today that execute Javascript. Those are the only ones GoAn is going to see.

For my own sites the GoAn reported (JS enabled) Googlebots hits are a fraction of Googlebot hits I see in my log analyzer stats software.

And that's the key to the original question. Google Analytics doesn't see most spider visits at all. For exactly the reason Torka already said, because GoAn requires Javascript to see a hit or anything about it, and the spiders as a general rule do not execute Javascript. The only exception to this as far as I know is one version of Googlebot that crawls around processing JS to look for nefarious javascript redirects and such.

You'll need a stats program that analyzes your Log Files to see spider hits. Most hosts these days automatically set up such log based stats programs for you these days. So the info is probably already there in your hosting account somewhere.

#6 1dmf

1dmf

Keep Asking, Keep Questioning, Keep Learning

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 06:24 AM

hmm, well I guess I won't know then without trawling my server logs and I really do have better things to do!

Plus I could write a scraping tool that pretends to be IE browser, so you will never get a true picture, as many bots with 'disguise' themselves. naughty.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!