• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo

Goan Screen Resolutions & Browser Types

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 1dmf

1dmf

Keep Asking, Keep Questioning, Keep Learning

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,160 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 08:07 PM

Just doing some late night GOAN and noticed some odd stats..
Screen Resolutions : 7.0x0 6 2.24%

Browsers : 8.Playstation 3 1 0.37%

How have 6 visitors reached position 7 (2.24% of visits for month) with a screen resolution of ZERO x ZERO ?

is this bots of some kind?

And what browser is a Playstation 3 , ok cool someone found my site with a PS3 , but i'm concerned over how it might have looked, without buying a PS3, how the hell am I going to test for that!

It's starting to get a nightmare with so many ways of surfing the web, I can't test for every browser/media!

Ideas please peeps.
dntknw.gif

#2 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 08:24 PM

No idea on the PS3. I haven't had a PS in years. No time for games. And IMHO if they want to surf the web they either need to get a real browser or make sure PS3 provides them with one. naughty.gif

On the screen res, could it simply be Javascript disabled? Or some browser/firewall/proxy combo that doesn't report that kind of data correctly? For that matter, the PS3's could be part of that I would assume.

#3 1dmf

1dmf

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,160 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 05:47 AM

On the screen res, could it simply be Javascript disabled?
I'd find that wierd if it was, GOAN is JavaScript, so with JS switched off, one has to assume GOAN wouldn't record anything, GOAN doesn't fire whatsoever with JS switched off , surely?

No idea on the PS3. I haven't had a PS in years. No time for games. And IMHO if they want to surf the web they either need to get a real browser or make sure PS3 provides them with one. naughty.gif

You're all heart Randy smile.gif , All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy you know, you need to make time for whoopee!

#4 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 06:43 AM

Jack may be a dull boy, but Randy isn't. Randy just doesn't have time for childish games, being randy. giggle.gif

Seriously, who knows what the 0x0 thing is. I've seen it several times in my GoAn stats too, but when I've peeked at it that one has been like 7 visits that happened over just a couple of days. It could be Archive.org's spider or some other bot. Or it could be a real person with a funky browser.

I've always figured it's simply easier not to worry too much about the odd ones that show up in my stats when they a miniscule fraction of all visits. My time is too valuable, so why would I spend even 5 minutes trying to make sure a site works absolutely perfectly for <0.01 of users with a certain browser when I'm already coding to standards. If a page or site doesn't work for them perhaps the onus is on them to use a reasonably standards compliant browser. wink1.gif

#5 1dmf

1dmf

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,160 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 06:56 AM

But every visitor is special and valuable to me Randy, when I'm only getting @ 300 visits a month I care.

Unlike you who probably gets 30,000 visits a month, to each of your 150 websites, I guess it's all relative, though I disagree wth Einstien's theory of relativity tongue.gif

Randy just doesn't have time for childish games, being randy
But FarCry2 has some seriously good graphics and best 'Fire' simulation i've seen yet wink1.gif

#6 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 07:18 AM

Unlike you who probably gets 30,000 visits a month, to each of your 150 websites

Add a 0 to the first number and divide the 2nd number by 3 and you'd be relatively correct. This month at least. I always seem to have more sites at some stage of development. Some make it to fruition, most don't.

Which is why I don't have time to waste on silly, non-productive games. wink1.gif

Back to your real question...

Have you compared your Googlebot hits against those 0x0 resolution hits? eg look in Visitors > Browser Capabilities > Browsers > Googlebot and look at the dates of the visits. Then look at Visitors > Screen Resolution > 0x0 and look at the dates of the visits. If your stats are like mine that I just looked at again (because of your persistence) on a couple of sites I think you may have one of those Ah Ha moments. giggle.gif

#7 1dmf

1dmf

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,160 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 08:17 AM

not the G!Bot
6. Googlebot 1 0.37%

300,000 visits a month notworthy.gif notworthy.gif

Is this where I beg for an IBL , or would that lose me your respect and trust wink1.gif (well that's if I had any to start with) giggle.gif

#8 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 11:10 AM

hysterical.gif

Too bad on the Googlebot stats not matching. Look for other bots that visited on those dates.

As to the traffic stuff...

It varies 1dmf, depending upon the market and how much base traffic there is out there for it. Some of the more popular and competitive markets are waaaaay up there and consistently get 500k per month or more. One that gets over 1.5M uniques per month on average. Some of my more niche'y markets get 50-80k and I'm happy to have it.

Funny part is I make as much or more real money from the smaller markets as I do from the really big and competitive ones, once you factor in all of the costs, the time it takes to run them, etc. Sure I may have to have 2-5 smaller niche sites to equal the income from one broader market site. But it's a lot easier to get to the point of profitability more quickly with smaller niches too. That's why I always suggest people take on the smaller markets first, then fan out to take on larger, more competitive markets. Smaller markets inherently contain less risk, are easier to conquer and are easier to run month after month on auto-pilot. So in the smaller markets it's simply easier to have multiple income streams, which protects me from a market fading out or me doing something stupid.

To me it always breaks down as: Would I rather have 1 site that brings in $25k per month. Or 10 sites that average $5k each. For myself I'll always choose the latter. I know from experience it takes as much work to run the one as it does to run the ten, but that the 10 limits my exposure and risk. One market and one site can take a dump at any moment. The odds of 10 markets and 10 sites having the bottom fall out at the same moment in time is basically nil. And if you did the math you'd see I'm making twice as much moolah from the same work with 10 little sites that take about the same effort as 1 larger market site.

As to the link begging, no need to bother asking. You know me, I only link to sites that are going to fit users of my sites. And I don't have any sites that would be appropriate for yours at the moment. If I ever do get a site that fits one of yours, you won't have to ask. You see I link to several people who have posted here over the years, simply because it fits and I know they have quality sites and do things the right way. They've neither asked, nor probably know, that I link to them. But I do. wink1.gif

#9 1dmf

1dmf

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,160 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 11:39 AM

makes a lot of sense (and money) by the sounds of things!

less risk, less exposure, more profit, who can argue with that Business Model! argue.gif

1.5M unique - Jezus , how much bandwidth does that require? I don't think my 30 bucks a year hosting would cut it do you lol.gif

Plus my music site gives everything away free, so an average album is 80mb * 1.5M , wow, alot of bandwidth indeed!

I need to find something profitable me think hysterical.gif

Who knows maybe the holiday let business will thrive, if this darn credit crunch ever ends, Dad says Thailand is dead in terms of holiday makers, yet they are acting like they never heard of the credit crunch, the Baht has dropped from @ 70THB -> 1GBP to now @ 51THB -> 1GBP , and this is the low season when the Baht is meant to be high! , yet it's at an all time low.

What's really weird is the Euro -> GBP is nearly 1-1 (1.09) , yet Euro->THB is 47 even lower than UK GBP , get the USD->GBP seems to be stabalising @ 1.5

The exchange rates are painting a very odd picture round the world at the moment, do you have any thoguhts , insight or experience on this?

#10 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 12:19 PM

how much bandwidth does that require?

A lot. wink1.gif

That's why I run my own dedicated servers. Well, one of the reasons why. So yes my hosting costs are a bit higher than most, but I have a lot more control over everything and the bills get paid. Ever seen those uptime promises? I've had 100% uptime (redundancy is good if you can afford it!) for something like 8 years, with the exception of a couple of my older servers that got caught in a Datacenter fire last year. And even with those I had new servers commissioned, my backups uploaded and everything back online pretty quickly.

What I do with my servers wouldn't work for everyone. It does for me. Though I could certainly pay someone to run the servers for me if I wasn't such a control freak.

do you have any thoguhts , insight or experience on this?

Nada. I stay completely out of International Finance. I'm no good at it and it bores me. I have my specialties that I'm reasonably good at and that keep me entertained. I've gotten smart enough over the years to stick to them. giggle.gif

#11 1dmf

1dmf

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,160 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 05:56 AM

I'm no financial expert by a long chalk, but I find the current exchange rates very odd, surely this current financial situation is worrying to a guy that makes so much from the net, are your customers mainly homegrown, so not affected by exchange rates and global financial forces?

As to the link begging, no need to bother asking. You know me, I only link to sites that are going to fit users of my sites. And I don't have any sites that would be appropriate for yours at the moment.
I appreciate the kind sentiment that I *may* do things right wink1.gif , but I can't beleive none of the visitors to your sites wouldn't like to get their hands on some free dance music disco.gif

Oh well link building really isn't all it's cracked up to be, I've ran many link building campaigns and as yet, i've got ZERO IBL's, guess my sites suck and you're just being polite tongue.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!