• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Does A Domain Name Automatically Mean You Come Up First?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 kilerb

kilerb

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 06:13 PM

I have a bunch of domains... If you type into google the domain name with spaces, it comes up first. For instance, if you type mma underdogs under a search, mmaunderdogs.com is the first thing to come up. If you type tshirt paper, then tshirtpaper.com comes up first.

So what I did recently was I bought tshirttransferpaper.com... I did this because I knew that a common lookup for my sort of site is a search for "t shirt transfer paper." This forwards right to my other site immediately. However, it does not come up when I type it into google. I was told it's not even registered by someone. I've gone on twice and registered it with google. Is there some sort of requirement I'm missing? Any help would be appreciated...

Thanks!

B superman.gif

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 06:41 PM

> Does A Domain Name Automatically Mean You Come Up First?

As you have seen, the answer is no.

#3 goldjake

goldjake

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 07:23 PM

QUOTE(Jill @ Mar 26 2009, 07:41 PM) View Post

after that two year post below i am suprised you answered. It was very interesting though and really enjoyed it. The bbcoach one.

#4 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 07:50 AM

Not really sure what you're referring to, goldjake.

#5 kilerb

kilerb

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 05:23 PM

QUOTE(Jill @ Mar 26 2009, 04:41 PM) View Post

Hi Jill... Do you have any suggestions to make a small forwarding site register with Google? It seems that they won't take it since it's so small and only forwards.

Thanks smile.gif

#6 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 06:54 PM

Do you have any suggestions to make a small forwarding site register with Google?

Ask yourself this question kilerb.

If you were Google and your rather lofty goal was to index all of the world's information and display the information that was relevant for any search term any user in the world plugged into your little search engine, would you want to waste time, bandwidth and valuable disk space on several tens of thousands of throwaway domains that contain no information and only forward to another location? Especially when you can simply index the place the throwaway domain sends people to? Would you really want to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars each year (or maybe even each month!) crawling and indexing something like that?

No you wouldn't. Google has no interest in doing so either.

#7 kilerb

kilerb

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 08:53 PM

Nope... I agree... What is the minimum content they will index? Is there a person that actually looks at the site to decide if it is approved for indexing, or is it done by some automated analysis machine?

Thanks...

#8 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 09:54 PM

QUOTE(kilerb @ Mar 27 2009, 06:23 PM) View Post
Hi Jill... Do you have any suggestions to make a small forwarding site register with Google? It seems that they won't take it since it's so small and only forwards.

They won't. That's the point of forwarding, to get them to index the resulting page that you're forwarding to. How could they or would they get the page that is being forwarded? It's note even a page. It's just a line of code saying if you get to this URL go to this other one instead.

What is the minimum content they will index? Is there a person that actually looks at the site to decide if it is approved for indexing, or is it done by some automated analysis machine?

It's all automated.

#9 goldjake

goldjake

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 09:06 AM

I was not trying to be rude but i was talking about the bbcoach unique url post that is about two post below this. The 86 reply one. I read the whole thread. it was one of the most interesting post i have read in awhile

#10 Deverill

Deverill

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 10:26 AM

QUOTE(kilerb @ Mar 27 2009, 09:53 PM) View Post
What is the minimum content they will index?

Why do you ask and what is your goal?

If you have some information that is important to give your visitors/customers then put it on the main site. If not then do nothing. You never want to do anything to 'trick' the search engines or to boost your ranking for rankings sake. Make an awesome site and give your peeps information they are looking for when they go to Google and you'll rank. It's as simple as that.

Everyone that tries to make gateway/doorway/micro-sites just to have more pointers to their main site for Google end up crying most every time Google changes their algorithms. As Google gets smarter, they look dumber. search.gif

It's true, SEO is like the old "Tortoise and the Hare" story. Slow, steady, valuable information gets you consistently at the top. Others come and go and may bump you down for a time, but they are flashes in the pan.

#11 kilerb

kilerb

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 08:46 PM

QUOTE(Deverill @ Mar 30 2009, 08:26 AM) View Post
Why do you ask and what is your goal?

If you have some information that is important to give your visitors/customers then put it on the main site. If not then do nothing. You never want to do anything to 'trick' the search engines or to boost your ranking for rankings sake. Make an awesome site and give your peeps information they are looking for when they go to Google and you'll rank. It's as simple as that.

Everyone that tries to make gateway/doorway/micro-sites just to have more pointers to their main site for Google end up crying most every time Google changes their algorithms. As Google gets smarter, they look dumber. search.gif

It's true, SEO is like the old "Tortoise and the Hare" story. Slow, steady, valuable information gets you consistently at the top. Others come and go and may bump you down for a time, but they are flashes in the pan.

Thanks for the info, Dev. Sometimes it just seems like this whole SEO system is a game, with people paying vasts sums of money to companies that get them a higher for nothing but having the cash, and not a quality site. It sort of is... People trying to get the latest algorithms to move them up. It almost seems like you have to at least "sorta" play the game too.

With certain sites there really isn't anything to blog about or add to improve ranking. Simple stores might carry one product and there's only so much you can say about it. There are other forum boards that make one that you try and create look like a joke. Sure there are ways to "incentiveise" people into posting or joining, but in reality, a lot of times that just not worth the effort or the results you really end up getting. Thus the games start.

I wish I knew more about SEO and I'm starting to read up on it. Is there a good place to start? An SEO 101 page that will get people on the right track?

Thanks!

#12 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 10:21 PM

I wish I knew more about SEO and I'm starting to read up on it. Is there a good place to start? An SEO 101 page that will get people on the right track?

Yup. Our [url=http://www.highrankings.com/forum/index.php/topic/833-tips-for-new-seos/]Tips for Newbies[/url]. wink1.gif

People trying to get the latest algorithms to move them up

That's called Algo chasing. Not only is it a silly sport to partake in, but it's a road to ruin. Even if you succeeded you'd end up back where you were a year or so later because the Algo's are constantly being tweaked. Google alone averaged more than One Algo Change each and every day last year. Do you really want to chase that hard when you don't have to?

What we teach around here may sometimes take a bit longer, but once you're up there you pretty much stick forever. It's the difference between creating a flash in the pan and building a business. Several of us have sites that we put in the time and effort to optimize more than a few years ago and which haven't been touched since for the most part. Remarkable as it may seem to some, when it's done right once our optimization methods tends to stick. So all of those sites are still ranking very, very well years after the fact without constantly being worked on.

What you probably need to do first in your SEO researching is develop yourself a good BS filter. It'll help you to brush those distracting nincompoops trying to get you to buy into the latest "Secret" out of the way so that you can stay on track. Their distractions will only make it take longer.

FWIW, the first, last and by far most important thing you probably need to do is have a better understanding of who your Perfect Customers are. Perfect Customers are Randy-speak meaning folks who already want/need what you have to offer, have the ability to afford it and the technical ability to use it effectively. Having a solid grasp on this one tiny thing is incredibly important because understanding them has role in every single thing you do with any online business.

The sad part is most have never given much thought into who their Perfect Customers are, let alone where to find them hanging out or writing their copy to appeals to their emotional desires. That's why most online businesses are either failures or a lot less successful than they could be.

#13 kilerb

kilerb

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 01:48 AM

I hear ya... Thanks. I'm checking out those articles on the tips and techniques page you recommended.

I think a lot of this confusion is also not understanding all of the terminology quite yet. Beyond that, just the meaning of some of the things said. I know links TO my site are important. But I don't know which ones will and won't work. Like if I have another site that I own, but it's on the same server as the site I'm linking to, would that help or do nothing? If I post about my site in a blog or forum board, does that help? They say to use text links on my site that I'm optimizing, but do those have to be visible or just in the meta area of the code? Things like this just constantly make me say hmmmmmmmmmm...

Thanks for your time by the way...
B

#14 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 07:04 AM

There's really only one thing that matters when you consider whether to place a link on one of your sites. Will those links be useful to the people visiting that site. Will the pointer have value in the eyes of your users.

If yes, place the link. If not, don't.

As far as getting links from other sites, ones you do not control, the best way to do it is to target sites where your target audience --or Perfect Customers in Randy-speak-- already hang out. Not only will the search engines take notice, but the links will be a lot easier to place because they make sense from the users point of view and you'll get the double whammy of a link that helps rankings and one that brings you real traffic all by itself.

That's why I said above that understanding who these users are is so very important. Really knowing them makes the whole SEO and marketing process all a lot easier.

#15 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 08:16 AM

Definitely read the Tips for Newbies and sign up for the newsletter. You might want to think about taking one of our seo training classes as well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We are now a read-only forum.

No new posts or registrations allowed.