• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo

Google Announces A Few New Changes

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 ogormask

ogormask

Shane O'Gorman

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 12:49 PM

Google announced yesterday that they are rolling out semantic searches as well as providing a longer snippet in results. You can see some examples in the link. I dont think it has rolled out everywhere yet because their example does not work for me but it still is some pretty big news.

http://googleblog.bl...le-results.html

#2 rolf

rolf

HR 6

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 06:13 PM

Sounds very interesting.

I've heard the odd thing about Tim Berners-Lee's 'Semantic web', which sounds like a great idea, but this is the first time I've seen anyone imply that they may have cracked it - good on them if they have. I wonder if the technology would port to TBL's idea across the whole web and how that would work?

I also wonder how they're going to deal with users who require a non-semantic search, such as someone who is searching for 'blue size 12 lederhosen' and doesn't want to see green size 14 trousers. I'm sure there will be a simple option for switching it on/off, but G may have to choose between a) on by default but something thing that the average user doesn't understand so they find that sometimes their searches bring back lots of things they don't want to see or b )off by default and the average user doesn't understand it so they never use it - neither of which is ideal.

I suppose there is a third option of G trying to work out when it is appropriate to use it - but that could be a whole other can of worms in itself.

I will watch the progress with great interest.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!