• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

How To Guage A 'bad' Directory

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 lister

lister

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 07:03 AM

I have been tasked by my employer to try and rank an education website - offering courses.

My approach has been to ensure that all the title tags are useful and informative to our audience - and - to sumbit the site to directories. I have a very long list of directories and am a little worried that I am unwillingly submitting the site to unsavoury directories....they might seem clean and nice and read by humans by how do I know - am I creating more problems than I am trying to solve?

Thanks!

#2 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,625 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 08:03 AM

As long as you're not pointing a link back to these directories, links from them shouldn't hurt. They probably won't help, either, but they shouldn't hurt. The search engines know site owners don't have control over who chooses to link to them, so they generally don't penalize anybody for incoming links. Outgoing links, on the other hand, are under your control, and too many links to too many "bad neighborhoods" can indeed cause problems.

That said, if the total of your efforts so far consists of rewriting title tags and getting directory links, you need to understand while these are not necessarily unworthy pursuits, they are unlikely to achieve your ranking goals by themselves. Have you tried reading our [url=http://www.highrankings.com/forum/index.php/topic/833-tips-for-new-seos/]Tips for Newbies[/url] to get some ideas for additional strategies and tactics that might be useful? If not, I strongly recommend it.

--Torka mf_prop.gif

#3 cbp

cbp

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 04:39 PM

Put yourself in a search engines shoes and ask yourself --- which directory(s) would I like to use to help me rank sites in my search engine?

Would you use
1) Directories that exist for the self promotional and marketing purposes for webmasters.

or

2) Directories that exist to be useful resources on topic for the websurfer.

Very few directories fit into (2) and why waste you time on (1) if you would not use them if you were a search engine.

Spend your time submitting to (2)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!