• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Regular Site Map Vs Google Site Map - Need Both?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 houndog

houndog

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 06:53 PM

Hi,
I've done a search here and do see a thread where people were playing with their sitemap files and so forth to discover what effected what, but I still have this question:

If one has a Google site map, do they need a dynamic site map on their website, linked to from the footer on every page? Or vice versa? What happens when you have *just* a Google sitemap and not one linked to from your site at all?

I would think that a dynamic site map on your website, available in the footer of each page, would be a good thing to have no matter what, in terms of helping Google at least find all of your pages. Easy to travel through links.

If a major section of content is not available from the home page, or many other pages for that matter, or a main navigation, then I'd think that it'd be pretty hard for a search engine to find, if it was not well linked to by other websites, or internally by said website.

Thoughts? Thanks!

#2 BBCoach

BBCoach

HR 5

• 402 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 07:38 PM

I would think that a dynamic site map on your website, available in the footer of each page, would be a good thing to have no matter what, in terms of helping Google at least find all of your pages. Easy to travel through links.

I would say that you're right houndog, but why not build the site so that it naturally gets crawled by the spiders? That's the best approach.

#3 houndog

houndog

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 08:02 PM

QUOTE(BBCoach @ Mar 23 2009, 08:38 PM) View Post
but why not build the site so that it naturally gets crawled by the spiders? That's the best approach.

I agree with you BBCoach. That would mean an overhaul to this particular site (not mine, am helping on someone elses'), so was trying to think of basic things to put in place to help with smaller steps until they made that larger step. But yes, the main navigation is very important in this case, and it's become clear to me that several of their main sections are sadly buried.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!