• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo

Having Search And Content Networks On In The Same Campaign

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 eteare

eteare

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 03:50 PM

I inherited a couple of ad words campaigns to manage and all of them have the search and content networks mixed in together. All I ever read is that they should be separate.

When I look at analytics I can get stats for the content network vs keywords. So I kind of have good data.

Why should I separate the campaigns?

We aren't thinking about conversions at this time. I am really looking for page views. (We make our money from ad buys.)
I can still get decent stats from analytics.

I am not oppsed to brekaing them apart, it's just going to take a lot of work, so I want to make sure I am doing it for the right reasons.

Anything I am missing regarding splitting them up?

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,963 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 04:17 PM

I'm not really a paid search person and may be misunderstanding your question, but I'm thinking that typically you want the search and content networks to be separated because you'd probably want different sorts of ads targeting each of them.

Just a guess though! I'm sure someone with more knowledge will come by and help shortly.

#3 Yoshimi

Yoshimi

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 03:33 AM

Splitting the content and search networks has quite a few benefits, as Jill said it lets you use different ad targeting, if also simplifies your placement targeting, you can't see a true impression share if you have content in with search as this is taken at a campaign level, other testing such as geographical and day part bidding are also done at campaign level and you might want to do testing on one and not the other. At the end of the day though the campaign network and search networks (including Google in with the SN) are different beasts and they need to be managed very differently, being able to see all of your stats at a glance for the two makes management a lot easier, and as content network doesn't have QS you can split it out into it's own campaign without losing anything.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!