• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Portfolio Marred By Client Tweaks

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Orpheus Descending

Orpheus Descending

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 12:01 PM

Both of my questions are probably off topic, but I rarely catch a good copywriting thread.

My first question is very selfish, but I am curious. I have started working with a company that does digital copyright (yes, I mean that in terms of the rights and not the writes). They have been copyrighting web design and photo images mostly, but I'm encouraging them to get into the copywriting side of things. Would any of the copywriters here use something like that? In terms of copyrighted images, this service has been tested in EU courts and has been successful.

Second question sort of turns this scenario on it's side. I'm getting ready to speak at a conference here in Ireland, and I went back to look at many of the websites I've written over the years. What I've found is that many of the sites have been 'edited' and updated. Lots of my original writing remains, but it's kind of like taking a Degas and turning it into a Picasso or Kandinsky. Some of these edits have been done by writers, who I wouldn't let re-write a birthday card from the looks of what I'm seeing. Now, when I wrote those sites, the work I did was owned by the publisher to do with as they choose, and since there isn't any writer's credit on the sites, it's no real skin off my nose - except that my portfolio is marred. How do I sample my work to prospective clients when the work is marred? What do other writer's do in this situation?

#2 copywriter

copywriter

HR 7

• 1,856 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 12:12 PM

Yes, since these are off-topic, I've started a new thread.

1. Copyrighting service - I would not use such a thing because it's so simple to do this yourself. At least in the US it is. For me personally, it wouldn't be worth my while.

2. What I've always done is do screen shots of my client's web pages right after they upload the new copy. That way, I have something for my portfolio. If - for whatever reason - they choose to screw it up later smile.gif then I still have something showing the work I did.

#3 Orpheus Descending

Orpheus Descending

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 12:26 PM

2. What I've always done is do screen shots of my client's web pages right after they upload the new copy. That way, I have something for my portfolio. If - for whatever reason - they choose to screw it up later then I still have something showing the work I did.

Brilliant. And 'Doh' on my part - Now you know how I will be spending next weekend. I hope it rains. tongue.gif

#4 bwelford

bwelford

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 02:13 PM

If you have more than a screenful to copy, you may find ScreenGrab, which is a Firefox plug-in, is useful

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!