• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

No Copy On Home Page

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 logos1234

logos1234

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 11:09 AM

Hi,

I am doing SEO for a website, and I have tried to persuade the owner to include some copy on the home page to sell their services and for ranking, but they prefer just an image and navigation. Is this going to be a big set back in terms of SEO?

Also, in terms of sitewide SEO, if the site is a pet toy site, mainly focused on cats and dogs and there is a home page, a cat toy page and a dog toy page, what is the best way to optimise? I.e. should I optimise the home page for 'cat toys' and 'dog toys' and then optimise the dog page for 'dog toys' and the cat page for 'cat toys' and so on? What about inbound links, where should I direct those? I understand it is easier to get links to the home page through directories etc, so should I point the majority of the links to the home page for 'dog toy' and 'cat toy' or should I try to get most links to the relevant inner page?

Say Google already ranks the 'dog toy' page as more relevant than the home page for the search 'dog toy', should I then go with that page?

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,008 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 11:15 AM

I am doing SEO for a website, and I have tried to persuade the owner to include some copy on the home page to sell their services and for ranking, but they prefer just an image and navigation. Is this going to be a big set back in terms of SEO?

Since Google will see just a blank page, yes, of course it will affect SEO.

For your other questions, they're mostly answered in the Tips for Newbies.

You may be interested in my articles at Talent Zoo that outline all the steps needed to do SEO. You will find them listed here in our bylined SEO articles section. Scroll down to the earliest one and work your way up.

#3 logos1234

logos1234

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 11:22 AM

Thanks Jill,

I will have a look through those articles.

#4 logos1234

logos1234

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 07:43 AM

OK,

I have had a look at some of those articles and very interesting and I've learned a lot. I have also learned about website themes, but am still trying to grasp what keywords I should use for each page.

If 'cat toys' is my main keyword and I have a page for that as well as a home page, what should I optimise the home page for? I was thinking that 'pet toys' would be the main keyword, but 'cat toys' is my primary keyword. I know that it is often more difficult to get links to deep pages, so am wondering how I would go about link building, i.e. would I get the majority of links to my 'cat toys' page or the home page?

Would appreciate your thoughts

#5 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,008 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 08:37 AM

For you home page, you can use the most general words, such as "pet toys" and "cat toys" and a few others that relate.

For your actual cat toys page, you can also optimize for "cat toys" but also look at the numerous other keyword phrases people would use when looking for cat toys. You'll want to find phrases that get searched upon by people, but which are not so competitive as to be impossible for you to rank. I imagine that the phrase cat toys is highly competitive. So if you want to bring targeted traffic, seek out numerous other keywords.

#6 logos1234

logos1234

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 11:54 AM

Thanks Jill,

That is very helpful.

So, as you go deeper in the architecture, there are longer tail keywords, e.g. cat-toys/cat-nip-toys/cat-nip-mouse.htm then you optimise each page in the architecture for more defined keywords and variations that people are searching with. And I would of course have 'cat toys' in the navigation. So, presumably I would link with say the anchor text 'cat toys uk' and 'pet toys uk' to the home page and if I were able to get a deep link to the cat toys page, I might use anchor text such as 'best cat toys uk' or 'buy cat toys uk' and so on. Is this the right kind of logic? I think this makes sense. But, wouldn't Google with this method get confused about which page to rank for 'cat toys uk'?

Thanks

#7 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,008 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 10:01 PM

You've sort of got it, but you're thinking too singularly.

It seems as if you're thinking one page, one keyword phrase.

Think instead of one page about the cat nip, and all the various phrases that people use to find cat nip. Don't worry about the URL. It's the copy and Title tags that I would be concerned with. Right great copy that answers people's questions that they're typing into the search engines regarding the cat nip, and your page will have a decent shot at showing up for the words you're using within it.

#8 logos1234

logos1234

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 28 March 2009 - 07:41 PM

Thanks Jill,

I will of course do in depth keyword research, establish keywords that the site is currently ranking for and find keywords that people are actually using to find these products, as well as looking at competitor keyword profiles. I will target the keywords that have a balance of traffic volume and competitiveness for now.

Presumably my internal linking should link from the cat toy page to the home page with keywords such as 'pet toys' and from the home page to the cat toys page with 'cat toys' and so on.

So the most important on page factors are page title and copy.

Many thanks for your advice, I always learn something here.

#9 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,008 posts

Posted 28 March 2009 - 09:47 PM

So the most important on page factors are page title and copy.

And anchor text, yes.

#10 logos1234

logos1234

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 07:33 AM

Many thanks Jill.

#11 ScottSalwolke

ScottSalwolke

Scott Salwolke

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 04:31 PM

QUOTE(Jill)

Think instead of one page about the cat nip, and all the various phrases that people use to find cat nip. Don't worry about the URL. It's the copy and Title tags that I would be concerned with. Right great copy that answers people's questions that they're typing into the search engines regarding the cat nip, and your page will have a decent shot at showing up for the words you're using within it.

Its funny that on the same day Jill that I received your newsletter that had a link to this post I received another email offering ten things you should know about SEO. One paragraph said "You should optimize a single page of your website for a single search term. Do not optimize the same page for more than one search term. It is much better if a web page is highly relevant to one search term than somewhat relevant to many search terms."

Hopefully more people read your newsletter or forum than the other. If they are offering this type of advice you wonder how much experience they really have. Or how up to date their knowledge is.

#12 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 06:33 PM

QUOTE(Copywriter39)
Or how up to date their knowledge is.

Or if they've ever had any knowledge at all, since what they're proposing has never been the case. giggle.gif

#13 ScottSalwolke

ScottSalwolke

Scott Salwolke

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 07:05 PM

Good point

#14 Jexley

Jexley

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 08:22 PM

QUOTE(Copywriter39 @ Apr 2 2009, 06:31 AM) View Post
Hopefully more people read your newsletter or forum than the other. If they are offering this type of advice you wonder how much experience they really have. Or how up to date their knowledge is.

If I had to wager a guess, I would say that what they probably meant about "search terms" was as a concept. Meaning "cat toy" isn't necessarily THE search term, it's the category, and "dog toy" would be another (Ha! CATegory... see what I did there?).

I would heartily suggest optimising one page per "category" and using the highest scoring terms throughout. "cat toy" can be in my title and header, but throughout the copy I might use "balls of yarn" and "squeaky mice" if they were the next hottest terms. I wouldn't make heavy reference to "chewy bones" and "tyrannosaurus-sized rawhide chews" on that page, nor would I put "dog toy" in the title and header tags. See the difference?

I think it's best to be fair of many assertions, even if they don't make sense at first. And Jill, your newsletter is one of the few that I will consistently click on, you rock my socks. When I wear them, that is. Heh.

#15 fbw

fbw

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 April 2009 - 01:28 AM

QUOTE(Jill @ Mar 28 2009, 04:01 AM) View Post
You've sort of got it, but you're thinking too singularly.

I think that this conversation is interesting - especially because I have found a website with good succes and many #1 placements by searches on Google. That website has 3.000 items to present, but 90.000 indexed pages and seems to use search phrases in the URL, title, key words and one time in the text and some dynamic generated content, mostly images and some related text.

The website has a great success and this does not seem to support the statement above.

Edited by fbw, 04 April 2009 - 01:36 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!