• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Does This Programmer Know Something That I Don't Know?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#16 Nueromancer

Nueromancer

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 11:46 AM

QUOTE(gsimerlink @ Mar 24 2009, 04:24 PM) View Post
You know Yoshimi, if I didn't know better I'd swear you worked here. lol.gif

We've had a few of those lately plus a new twist. One of our MIS guys is coming up with "new" ideas that I tried to get them to implement six months ago. mf_jumpon.gif

I'm currently trying to convince them that Wordpress is reliable and won't take up much server space...they say they'd rather build their own blog software "when they get around to it", especially since they don't see any use for a blog.

Heh back in 1994 i worked on a flagship Web develoment program for BT we where told at the start up meeting that some one had seriosly wanted to write a special BT version of HTML for the - luckily some senior Rnd Types did a bit of diplomatic screaming and that idea was dropped. This wa sprobaly the bit of the company that had quoted 2 years to produce what me and another developer did in a month. I got a whole 25 in vouchers as a thank you for that one!

#17 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 12:42 PM

QUOTE(Jill)
I think I'll start collecting stories...

and the stories I could tell... giggle.gif

How about the IT department that for years has refused to make available to the Web Dev department an Apache server with PHP because they were unsecure. Instead choosing to run their web apps exclusively on several Lotus Notes Domino servers? This has been going on for over a decade, and IT has consistently refused to make anything other than Lotus available until the last few months, and even then only one server is a standard LAMP configuration. The vast majority are still Domino.

FWIW the security issue was a false argument, but was over the head of the people holding the purse strings. The real reason IT wouldn't make anything other than Lotus Notes Domino available was that the wife of the #2 guy in IT was the original web page <cough>designer</cough> for this several thousand person organization. And she didn't know even HTML, let alone php. She could only <cough>design</cough> in Domino Designer. So to protect her job they simply refused to install anything else.

#18 Deverill

Deverill

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 12:20 PM

QUOTE(Randy @ Mar 24 2009, 02:42 PM) View Post
How about the IT department that for years has refused to make available to the Web Dev department an Apache server with PHP because they were unsecure.

Reinterpreting "unsecure as insecure": unfortunately this is the key to a lot of our frustrations - the IT department staff are insecure in their trade and afraid of others knowing more than they so they immediately put up walls of resistance. Instead of looking at the code for analytics, which may require them to pick up that old dusty javascript book, they just say "nope, security" and no one moves forward.

Sad actually, but quite common.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We are now a read-only forum.

No new posts or registrations allowed.