• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Does This Programmer Know Something That I Don't Know?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Say Yebo

Say Yebo

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 08:30 AM

My client's web site can be accessed from two different domain names.

After talking to his hosting company, I sent him the relevant instructions for creating a permanent redirect from one to the other using his htacess file (He is not on a windows platform).

I did it for the regular SEO reasons.

The programmer came back with this:

You have a multi-domained website which means both domains point to the same root website. There is no redirection that needs to take place. This is automatically done through DDNS (Domain Name Server). Your www.siteA.com website and www.siteB.net site are one and the same. What are you trying to do? The company checking into this should have been able to tell that redirection didn't need to be done.

As I understand it, this is still a classic case for creating a redirect right?

Caro

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 08:38 AM

They are correct that it doesn't *need* to be done, but the other domain does have a chance of inadvertently being indexed if you don't do it.

Best practice is to redirect.

#3 Say Yebo

Say Yebo

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 08:54 AM

QUOTE(Jill @ Mar 23 2009, 09:38 AM) View Post
...but the other domain does have a chance of inadvertently being indexed if you don't do it.

In fact, both domains have been fully indexed.

If they don't redirect, will it cause any SEO problems, other than diluting their inbound links, which is already happening?

Edited by Say Yebo, 23 March 2009 - 09:09 AM.

#4 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 09:26 AM

Well that in itself is a big SEO problem (diluting PR).

Because that will lower rankings in general.

#5 Say Yebo

Say Yebo

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 09:29 AM

QUOTE(Jill @ Mar 23 2009, 10:26 AM) View Post
Well that in itself is a big SEO problem (diluting PR).

Because that will lower rankings in general.

Thanks for the confirmation Jill :-)

#6 Ron Carnell

Ron Carnell

HR 6

• 968 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 10:48 AM

This is automatically done through DDNS (Domain Name Server).

This essentially means that both domains share the same .htaccess file. It's unlikely that the "relevant instructions" you sent him for the 301 would have worked. If your programmer is any good, he probably recognized that you were creating an infinite loop and started looking for ways to make it unnecessary. I suspect he just latched on to the wrong way.

It definitely should be done.

And it can be done without risking an infinite loop. How it best be accomplished will depend on how much control you have. I would recommend changing Apache's httpd.conf file (see the sticky in this forum for directions) if you have access to it. Lacking that, you'll need to use mod rewrite. The directions for a parked domain/alias are in this thread.

#7 Gerry White

Gerry White

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 11:06 AM

Typically you would expect dev / IT people to have a better understanding of SEO, after all Google (and the others) are just glorified algorithims - but no, they will often destroy a websites rankings - believing that something like "upgrading a firewall" is always more important that the two minute fix required to improve rankings dramatically! When I worked at an agency, I was frequently told it was "not in spec" when the homepage to all the shop locations required you to use a pulldown, i.e. you couldn't get through to your countries store without using javascript.... ooops sorry, rant over...

Only one of your domains will rank, for most kw's which is dependant on the inbounds links and various other factors - but they will never both rank, it is kinda simple maths 100 inbound links + 30 inbound links is better than, 100 in bound links (by 301'ing the other domain). I did this a while back (using an ASP VB script) and the SEO traffic increase was fantastic.

#8 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 11:20 AM

Typically you would expect dev / IT people to have a better understanding of SEO

All I can say is:

hysterical.gif hysterical.gif hysterical.gif hysterical.gif hysterical.gif hysterical.gif hysterical.gif hysterical.gif hysterical.gif hysterical.gif hysterical.gif hysterical.gif

You may have seen Matt Cutts recently quote me as saying that developers are who keep SEOs in biz. Sad but true. It is my mission this year to try to educate them, however. SEO has to start at the development level and the only way to get that in, is to educate the developers themselves as to why all this SEO silly stuff is important!

#9 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 11:30 AM

Good luck with that crusade Jill!

In my experience most dev/IT folks haven't a clue about anything much at all. Not about Developing robust platforms, not about IT and certainly not about SEO. Forget about Marketing.

And I say that as a dev/IT person!

I fear your crusade to help them understand is going to fall on deaf ears for the most part. At least that's been my experience from trying to make at least some of them understand for the last decade or so. giggle.gif

#10 Yoshimi

Yoshimi

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 11:43 AM

QUOTE(Jill @ Mar 23 2009, 04:20 PM) View Post
It is my mission this year to try to educate them,

Could you start here please, in the last 6 months I have had

"we put Adwords behind the firewall because no one in the company needs it" except the 3 people employed full time to manage paid search
"we won't give you access to any email programs, it's not necessary" not even to test email marketing
"we won't install Google analytics because it's a security risk" so we can spend a fortune in bad marketing and PITA analytics packages instead
"Google analytics required 3 full days for installation and testing" for the love of all that is holy, give me FTP access and I'll do it myself
"We won't host this new website until you have a disaster recovery plan in place, and have a full assessment of what support you will require" erm none, I built the site, I have back-ups of the site, and it requires no maintainance...just host the damn thing girl_cray2.gif

Add to that the fact that we have spent over 30k on free internet software in the last year because IT won't consult ecommerce about anything, and you have a very unhappy ecommerce team.

#11 Orpheus Descending

Orpheus Descending

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 12:19 PM

"we put Adwords behind the firewall because no one in the company needs it" except the 3 people employed full time to manage paid search
"we won't give you access to any email programs, it's not necessary" not even to test email marketing
"we won't install Google analytics because it's a security risk" so we can spend a fortune in bad marketing and PITA analytics packages instead
"Google analytics required 3 full days for installation and testing" for the love of all that is holy, give me FTP access and I'll do it myself

SEO has to start at the development level and the only way to get that in, is to educate the developers themselves as to why all this SEO silly stuff is important!

OH, this thread has made me soooo happy! It's not Ireland that is bass ackwards, it's the same all over! I started at a development company, and they were good, so I thought all American developers and IT's were good. When I came to Dublin, I blamed this sort of thing on the Guinness - but that has nothing to do with it!! I'm so happy.

Can I just ask why everyone gets out their tinfoil hats about analytics? I just don't understand that? If you have an AdWords Account, Google can access it whenever they want, and I have seen my campaigns stolen right out from under me and 'given' to other clients for whom they have built the campaigns internally. That's far worse than what they can do looking at your conversion stats - yes? Or am I being naive?

#12 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 03:19 PM

Great fodder to start off my presentations having to do with developers and SEO! I think I'll start collecting stories...

#13 BBCoach

BBCoach

HR 5

• 402 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 07:55 PM

It is my mission this year to try to educate them, however.
Like Randy said, "Good luck!"

Seriously though, an SEO needs to educate corporate IT departments with as many "facts of the trade" as possible. Providing a plethora of bona fide examples to illustrate why certain SEO aspects are necessary and beneficial. They're typically clueless (like Randy said) and with a "hot-shot SEO consultant coming in to get them on track" that is very intimidating to their protected domain of power. It's doable because they are 0101010s fluent in the end.

#14 Nueromancer

Nueromancer

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 11:16 AM

QUOTE(Jill @ Mar 23 2009, 08:19 PM) View Post
Great fodder to start off my presentations having to do with developers and SEO! I think I'll start collecting stories...

lol

I could contribute a few stories site where we spent 2 days listing the things that where wrong and the developers refused us access to the source code.

then agin ive heard of SV start ups where the CTO didnt have teh skils to properly balance his WAN connections not that all CTOs should know that but they should know who to hire to fix that.

#15 gsimerlink

gsimerlink

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 11:24 AM

You know Yoshimi, if I didn't know better I'd swear you worked here. lol.gif

We've had a few of those lately plus a new twist. One of our MIS guys is coming up with "new" ideas that I tried to get them to implement six months ago. mf_jumpon.gif

I'm currently trying to convince them that Wordpress is reliable and won't take up much server space...they say they'd rather build their own blog software "when they get around to it", especially since they don't see any use for a blog.

QUOTE(Yoshimi @ Mar 23 2009, 12:43 PM) View Post
Could you start here please, in the last 6 months I have had

"We won't host this new website until you have a disaster recovery plan in place, and have a full assessment of what support you will require" erm none, I built the site, I have back-ups of the site, and it requires no maintainance...just host the damn thing girl_cray2.gif

Add to that the fact that we have spent over 30k on free internet software in the last year because IT won't consult ecommerce about anything, and you have a very unhappy ecommerce team.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We are now a read-only forum.

No new posts or registrations allowed.